Contest set-up and use...

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
M0LEP

Contest set-up and use...

Unread post by M0LEP »

I've been using RUMlogNG for a while to capture logs from WSJT-X, and it's been doing that just fine, talking both to WSJT-X and to my IC-7300.

At the beginning of last month I started a CWOps CW course. My instructor is keen to get us to participate in a couple of contests, the CWOps Mini Contests (CWT) mid-week, and the K1USN Slow Speed Test (SST) on Friday evenings. All the course instructions for contest participation assume we'll be running N1MM :roll: and I've never done any contests before :o so they're something of a black art :twisted:. The closest I've got is using Morse Runner for training exercises. :roll:

I've noticed that both those contests are in RUMlogNG's list, and I've tried to follow the instructions under https://dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/docs/en/pages/Contest.html to get it set up for them, but I can't figure out what needs to go into the Contest Preferencss CW F-keys, and I've not managed to find examples anywhere. Both contests (as far as I can tell) have un-changing exchanges (without RST or serial number). I think they should contain something like this:

Code: Select all

F1: CQ CWT <My Call>
F2: <His Call> RICK CWA
F3: TU 73
F4: <My Call>
F5: <His Call>
F6: <His Call> RICK CWA
F7: ?
F8: ?
...and for SST (in which I stand half a chance of maybe catching a caller or two, possibly), replace CWT with SST and CWA with DX.

Is that anywhere close to what's needed? I've experimented (with rig at zero power into a dummy load), and while the rig keys sometimes, there's something I'm not getting quite right (though I'm trying to follow the flows on https://dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/docs/en/pages/InContest.html ) as it doesn't always key as expected or create a log entry.
Rick M0LEP
ct1drb

Re: Contest set-up and use...

Unread post by ct1drb »

Hi Rick,

how are you doing?

Name is David, calls are ct1drb and ok8rb and my qth is close to Lisbon.

Cool that you are learning CW. As a almost 100% CW operator I am very happy with it.

At same time it seems that you have problems with RUMlogNG and configuration with the CWOps settings.

If you want I can give help but I would like to have a king of a Skype session where we can talk and later one try to solve your problem.

So, if you have Skype let me know and then we can arrange a schedule to help you, my ID Skype is ct1drb.

Best 73 and have a nice week.

CT1DRB/OK8RB
David Quental
M0LEP

Unread post by M0LEP »

Thanks. I think I've mostly worked it out, at least for S&P mode. The mistakes I made were, first, mis-understanding the blue button that suggested (to me) that I needed to click it to perform the next action, and second, using F6 to send the S&P response and then not being able to get the entry into the log. There are clearly more tricks to learn, and I am slightly hampered by having a small keyboard that doesn't have distinct return and enter keys. I'll get there...
Rick M0LEP
IU3BRO

Unread post by IU3BRO »

What I cannot find in the Help, which is at least poor, is the name to give to the various variables, e.g. in other logger, {MYCALL} or @MYCALL or similar.
Somebody can please answer? Maybe the author of the software?
Thanks
73 Tilio iu3bro
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

It's just in the CW settings:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-21 um 16.51.01.PNG
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM