Log conversion

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
NF4L

Log conversion

Unread post by NF4L »

When I imported my old log, it changed quite a few QSO countries, most notably K1N from KP1 to K. Is there a way to re-generate that list?

Thanks!

Mike NF4L
73, Mike NF4L
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Log conversion

Unread post by DL2RUM »

You should read at least the "First Steps" from the Help menu or from here: http://dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/docs/en/pages/FirstSteps.html
  • *Update your dxcc database using Menu-->Online-->Load DXCC data
    *Select affected QSOs (or nothing for using full log)
    *Use Menu-->Logbook-->Recalculate DXCCs
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
NF4L

Unread post by NF4L »

Thanks, Tom.
I deleted the log and created a new one and saved the report so I can investigate the hundreds of conversions. What does "Invalid operation" mean?

<rant>
I don't like the way OS X tracks files. After I moved my log to the trash, NG still loaded it. I had to empty the trash to disconnect it.
</rant>

73, Mike NF4L
73, Mike NF4L
k4zrj

Unread post by k4zrj »

Weird behavior: I wanted to build a new .rlog file as it had been a few days since I had used RUMlogNG and the .rlog file was out of date with my RUMlog file. So, I renamed K4ZRJ.rlog to K4ZRJ.oldrlog and trashed it. So far so good. I started RUMlogNG (v1.0.5) and tried to create a new log from the "classic" file. It never asked for the "classic" file location, and showed all my QSOs. I stopped and restarted RUMlogNG and it found K4ZRJ.oldrlog in the trash! Huh? Then I stopped RUMlogNG, deleted the files in trash (emptied the trash), now I am unable to import a new .rlog file from the "classic" log. Just creates a K4ZRJ.rlog file with some SQL in the header (only 22KB compared to original log of several MB).

In order get RUMlogNG to create a new K4ZRJ.rlog file correctly from the "classic" log file, I have to manually delete the data in the "User/Library/Containers" folder, as well as anything other files RUMlogNG has created, and start from scratch.

Trash is a hidden file folder, but aside from that, accessible by any program. So, why is RUMlogNG opening files in the trash?

73, Charles, K4ZRJ
k4zrj

Unread post by k4zrj »

Lost all preferences the first time I shut down RUMlogNG after rebuilding the .rlog file. As mentioned in my prior posting, I had to delete the RUMlogNG file in Users/Library/Containers in order to start over from scratch, then I imported my "classic" log, imported DXCC entries, recalculated DXCCs, noticed the DXCC window had not been refreshed after the recalc, so I shut down and restarted RUMLogNG, whereupon all my preferences were lost and everything was initialized. But, the DXCC window was now updated!

73, Charles, K4ZRJ
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I deleted the log and created a new one and saved the report so I can investigate the hundreds of conversions. What does "Invalid operation" mean?
Deleting a file is not a good idea. It will always be found again. It's an OS-X Sandbox feature. Before deleting a logbook file, make sure another one is in use.

"Invalid Operations" are explained in the Help file in the "First Steps" section under the "First Steps" paragraph. Read this please: http://dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/docs/en/pages/FirstSteps.html
RUMlogNG can recognize Deleted DXCC entities now and operations declared as invalid for the DXCC award by the ARRL DXCC desk.

RUMlogNG is a sandboxed application. This means, the application can not read or write files wherever it want. The user has to choose explicitly a file as logbook file. This is done during the "New Logbook" or "Open Logbook" menu function. The chosen file is than "married" with RUMlogNG. Even when you rename or delete it. Even it is not possible to rename another file to your original log file name and use it. This will not work.
It is important to understand, that the physical file will be used, not the file name.

Sandboxing is required for the Mac App Store.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM