Bluetooth LE CAT interface

RUMlog for the iPad and iPhone
GI1XPV

Re: Bluetooth LE CAT interface

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
Just confirming that I tested the version as requested. I replied via TestFlight, but app does not give any confirmation that message has been delivered.
Kemuel
W3BG

Unread post by W3BG »

I have several moving parts in my configuration trying to connect with my radio in RUMLOG2GO on my iPad:

My QRPLabs QCX transceiver is operating at 38400 baud (fixed in firmware) for the CAT control (uses Kenwood 480 CAT subsets.) Note:This QCX connection works great with RUMLOGNG on my MacBook Pro using a usb to TTL serial cable to the radio. However, I can't get the MacBook Pro to recognize and connect to the ADAFruit LE just to experiment in RUMLOGNG. Must be something with MAC/OS that won't connect with the Bluetooth LE.The iPad IOS connects ok.

The RUMLOG2GO on my iPad Pro connects with my Adafruit Bluetooth LE and max232 build but does not communicate with the Kenwood genetic option (not sure at what baud rate this is configured in RUMLOG2GO) and somewhere I saw that the ADAFruit LE is fixed at 9600 baud. Is this true? So I have 38400 baud on radio - 9600 baud, if true, on ADAFruit LE board - Unknown baud in RUMLOG2GO. The Connect app doesn't help me see what's going on on the ADAFruit board.

Am I just plain out of luck? Any suggestions? May have to put the ADAFruit LE/MAX232 build on the shelf for a new day and either take my MacBook Pro or a paper log when I operate portable. I hate to give up. As my old, since deceased, Elmer used to say, "We hams are experimenters." I've run out of ideas.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

However, I can't get the MacBook Pro to recognize and connect to the ADAFruit LE just to experiment in RUMLOGNG.
Just tested with the latest RUMlog version under Catalina, works fine. (Firmware 0.8.1)
So I have 38400 baud on radio - 9600 baud,
When I started with it, baud rate was fixed. Things may have changed with firmware updates. When other baud rates are possible now, you have to set it with AT commands from the serial side. Not from the RUMlog side.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
KD5JP

Unread post by KD5JP »

found these TTL to RS232 boards that would help in building an interface for a radio needing a RS232 levels.
VE3MM

Unread post by VE3MM »

I have a Bluetooth LE CAT interface working with my KX3 at 9600 baud. I would like to change the Bluetooth module to 38400 baud. Is it possible to do this via AT commands sent over Bluetooth from the Adafruit Connect App? I have tried putting the 2479 into CMD mode and sending AT commands to it from the Connect App but there is no response from the 2479. Has anyone done this?

Also, it appears that the K1JX schematic for the Bluetooth / MAX 232 circuit has the connections at the J2 connector (TOUT1 and RIN1 on the MAX3323EEPE) shown reversed. On the KX3 ACC1 connector, the tip is RX Data from the computer and the Ring is TX Data to the computer. The J2 connector detail is opposite to this.

Rick ve3mm
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I'm not sure, I was not able to change that. My guess is, you have to send the AT commands from the serial port side.
VE3MM

Unread post by VE3MM »

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. I was able to use an OSx free serial terminal program "SerialTools" and a FTDI usb to serial converter cable to connect to the serial side of the MAX232 on K1JX's circuit. Once connected I was able to put the 2479 in CMD mode and issue AT commands.
"AT+BAUDRATE=38400" changed the baudrate successfully.

I tested in on my KX2 and KX3 both set at 38400. Everything is good.

The IPAD OS and OSx RumlogNG are awesome programs. Thanks for writing and maintaining them.

Rick ve3mm
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Tnx for feedback Rick, nice to know!
Wilts22

Unread post by Wilts22 »

I've just made myself a BT LE CAT interface for my Elecraft K2 based upon the design information here, I have designed a custom 3d printed enclosure for the design.

If anyone is interested, I have written it up and published it here:

https://www.printables.com/model/261904 ... lecraft-k2

As well as the 3d model, there is a PDF with instructions on how to wire it up. Although designed for the K2 (which has a 12v output on the 9w D interface), it should be suitable for other radios,

Comments and feedback welcome

Paul
M1CNK
NN7M

Unread post by NN7M »

I've also built a bluetooth interface for my KX2. Works great. Without the details found on this forum, I would not have been able to build this on my own.

The KX2 connects to all three of my devices running the RumLog software: MacMini, MacBook Air, & iPad Air.

Thanks to all,

Ryan NN7M