KX3 (or K3) RTTY Macros

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
W4JBB

KX3 (or K3) RTTY Macros

Unread post by W4JBB »

I am missing something here. I cannot seem to make my KX3 transmit a macro and I cannot figure out what I'm missing.

Using the KX3 Utility, I can program a macro and make it transmit in FSK D. For the macros in the KX3 controller window, I cannot seem to figure out the syntax needed. For example, I have just one macro called "DE." In that macro, I have tried:

1. W4JBB W4JBB K
2. TX; W4JBB W4JBB K RX;

The first one gets me nothing. The second one just transmits unit I hit the escape key. I know I've got to be missing something obvious but I have looked in the manual and searched about two or three pages deep in the forums and I have searched for macros in the forums but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I *do* have the KX3 in FSK D mode.

I need some help.

Thanks,
Joel - W4JBB
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: KX3 (or K3) RTTY Macros

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The 'normal' logbook part don't have a dedicated RTTY interface. I guess, you are not talking about the contest interface?
I'm not sure, what your intentions are. Do you want to run a command macro in the KX3 control window, or send a memory already programmed into the KX3?
Because there is no direct RTTY support, you may to use a software memory from RUMlog using the CW window.
  • Configure CAT as usual.
  • In the Preferences under the CW tab, select 'Transceiver' as interface.
  • Fill the memories with your texts. If you want to go back to receive mode immediately, add the pipe character |
  • Open the CW window from the Window menu.
  • Now you can start the transmission using the provided buttons, or the F-keys.
Another option is to use the KX3 Control Window. From here you can play memories, saved within the KX3. To save or edit these memories, you have to use the KX3 Utility Tool. Elecraft don't let us do this in an own application.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
W4JBB

Unread post by W4JBB »

DL2RUM wrote:The 'normal' logbook part don't have a dedicated RTTY interface. I guess, you are not talking about the contest interface?
Okay. Well, I'll stop looking for the RTTY interface. ;) I looked high and low for the RTTY interface and couldn't find it. Sorry, I used RUMlog for several years and was playing around with my KX3 last night. I have not played with RTTY in quite some time. I seem to remember the RTTY interface bringing up the cocoaModem window but I could be mistaken. I understand you getting away from cocoaModem. I cannot remember the last time it was updated.

Is the contest interface the replacement for RUMped?
DL2RUM wrote:I'm not sure, what your intentions are. Do you want to run a command macro in the KX3 control window, or send a memory already programmed into the KX3?
Because there is no direct RTTY support, you may to use a software memory from RUMlog using the CW window.
At some point, I figured this out after I posted the previous message. However, I wasn't sure if that was the correct way or not. It does work though and that may be the way I have to do it.
DL2RUM wrote:Another option is to use the KX3 Control Window. From here you can play memories, saved within the KX3. To save or edit these memories, you have to use the KX3 Utility Tool. Elecraft don't let us do this in an own application.
This I cannot quite figure out. I'm guessing this is using the "Terminal" tab in the KX3 Utility? If so, I have a "DE" macro programmed there with "W4JBB W4JBB k." In the Terminal window, it works fine but, unless I'm missing something, those memories are saved in the KX3 Utility not the KX3 itself or I'm not understanding what you mean (which is quite possible - I can be pretty dense at times :D ).

***Edit***
Forgive me, Tom. After I posted this, I looked in the KX3 manual and figured out how to save messages on the KX3 using the "Configuration" tab of the KX3 Utility. Doing that, I can program up to six messages and access those using the F1 - F6 keys. See... I told you I could be dense. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies.

Joel - W4JBB
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Is the contest interface the replacement for RUMped?
Yes
I understand you getting away from cocoaModem.
cocoaModem was supported in the classic RUMlog version, never in NG.
I'm guessing this is using the "Terminal" tab in the KX3 Utility?
This Terminal is a different story, and completely independent.
Using the KX3 Utility go to the Configuration tab and press "Edit CW Memories" Enter or edit these texts to upload to the KX3. You can play it pressing the MSG + 1-6 buttons on the KX3.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM