New User Questions

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
jay968

New User Questions

Unread post by jay968 »

1 - When I print, I must highlight the entire logbook (or portion of it if I only want that printed) and when I send the print command to the printer all I get is a graphic of a portion of the log. it cuts off much of the log and there seems to be no way to either make the fonts smaller so everything will fit or to print only the columns that are most important. I see that I can display only columns that I want but even with the minimum that I require (date, time, call, freq, mode, TX, RX, LoW, State, Name, and QTH), they just will not fit on the printed page. Is RUMlogNG not really meant for printing logs? Please advise.
2 - If I DO print anything it comes out with white lettering on a black background if I am in dark mode, or black lettering with a grey background if I am in light mode. Obviously this is due to the fact that it is printing from a PDF. Is there any way to get it to print as it might from a spreadsheet program with only black lettering on a white background?
3 - I understand that in order to use 2 callsigns I must create separate files, but I changed my callsign last year and have had the ARRL merge both of my callsigns into 1 DXCC entity (my newest callsign). I've got about 160 DXCC credits with my old callsign and about 50 with my new one totaling 210 DXCC credits. Is there a way to merge them with RUMlogNG? Without being able to do so, the DXCC reports are pretty useless.
4- If I press Window>Activity Map>MyQSOs, I see a map containing nothing. Do I need to register with a website someplace in order to see anything here? If not, what am I missing?
5 - Is there any way to have the date field automatically populated but not the time? I'd rather be able to enter a callsign and not have the clock start until I KNOW I have the QSO underway, rather than have to go and edit the entry after everything is filled in and the QSO has ended..something I seem to have to do all the time. It would be nice if the date is populated when I enter the callsign and then have the time entered if I click in the time field or some kind of manual button that populates it.

Thanks for any help. RAUMlogNG has a lot of useful features, but I am afraid it will be useless to me if the above issues cannot be rectified.

Jay
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: New User Questions

Unread post by DL2RUM »

1. You are using a macOS system function, this may not be useful. Export your QSOs and use an external app to print a document. The QSO Search window has a function to export a csv file.
  2. See above
  3. No! When you have (or have had) multiple personal callsigns, you should use one logbook file only. Enter the ex-callsigns in to the preferences under the General tab.
  4. It shows your logged QSOs after the activity map was opened.
  5. Select Log QSO start time on the popup below the date field
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
jay968

Unread post by jay968 »

DL2RUM wrote: Sat 24. Feb 2024, 18:02
  1. You are using a macOS system function, this may not be useful. Export your QSOs and use an external app to print a document. The QSO Search window has a function to export a csv file.
  2. See above
  3. No! When you have (or have had) multiple personal callsigns, you should use one logbook file only. Enter the ex-callsigns in to the preferences under the General tab.
Thank you for that and all the responses but:

- If I do as you say it exports ALL the fields and not just the ones I have chosen to display on the log screen. Is there a way to actually delete those fields that I do not want to use rather than just hide them? If so, then exporting would export those fields I want.

- So if I do as you say and add the second callsign, RUMlog will communicate with LoTW and update the stats using BOTH callsigns in its reports? They are definitely both merged in LoTW and I do sometimes update the old callsign when I occasionally get new QSLs for it. Both certificates are still active.
This would definitely be very nice.

- No matter what I do, "Window > Activity Map > My QSOs" shows nothing, only a map. I have tried changing the distance, I have tried different map styles, I have even tried entering County into the QSO entry (something which I have no intention of ever doing) and nothing works.

- I know I have to designate "Enter time manually" in order to do just that, but if I do so, the Date always defaults to 1/1/2014 every time I start the program. I wish there was a third option "Log Date automatically and enter time manually." The way it is, I have to edit the entry after it is completed if I want the actual QSO start time to be different than the time when I first type in the callsign.
Please understand, I do not normally like to use a log program during a QSO but rather jot notes on scrap paper and enter them when the QSO is done. This is why I am concerned about the QSO start time.
jay968

Unread post by jay968 »

jay968 wrote: Sat 24. Feb 2024, 19:44
DL2RUM wrote: Sat 24. Feb 2024, 18:02
  2. See above
Thank you for that and all the responses but:

- If I do as you say it exports ALL the fields and not just the ones I have chosen to display on the log screen. Is there a way to actually delete those fields that I do not want to use rather than just hide them? If so, then exporting would export those fields I want.

- So if I do as you say and add the second callsign, RUMlog will communicate with LoTW and update the stats using BOTH callsigns in its reports? They are definitely both merged in LoTW and I do sometimes update the old callsign when I occasionally get new QSLs for it. Both certificates are still active.
This would definitely be very nice.

- No matter what I do, "Window > Activity Map > My QSOs" shows nothing, only a map. I have tried changing the distance, I have tried different map styles, I have even tried entering County into the QSO entry (something which I have no intention of ever doing) and nothing works.

- I know I have to designate "Enter time manually" in order to do just that, but if I do so, the Date always defaults to 1/1/2014 every time I start the program. I wish there was a third option "Log Date automatically and enter time manually." The way it is, I have to edit the entry after it is completed if I want the actual QSO start time to be different than the time when I first type in the callsign.
Please understand, I do not normally like to use a log program during a QSO but rather jot notes on scrap paper and enter them when the QSO is done. This is why I am concerned about the QSO start time.
WOW! To make matters worse, I did finally get SOMETHING to come up on a map...the "Log Station Info" Map I get when I go to the "Window > HamQTH/qrz/QRZCQ.com menu item. The problem here is that although the "information" field that comes up displays the correct information for the call sign, including city and state, the map itself seems to put a pin down several states away. I have yet to see anything come up with the correct location on the Map and I've tried dozens of callsigns! If I input my own callsign into the log, my correct location shows in the info field but the map shows me 3000 miles away. And I STILL have yet to see anything happen when I choose "Activity Map > My QSOs." On the other hand, if I go to QRZ.COM and use their map, everything works flawlessly.
Sorry to be such a pest but I honestly have no idea what I am doing wrong.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

For the Log Station Info you need a xml subscription when you want to use qrz.com.
Make sure you have the Club Log databases loaded.
When you are new to RUMlog, read the manual very carefully.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
jay968

Unread post by jay968 »

DL2RUM wrote: Sun 25. Feb 2024, 03:33 For the Log Station Info you need a xml subscription when you want to use qrz.com.
Make sure you have the Club Log databases loaded.
When you are new to RUMlog, read the manual very carefully.
This is why I asked in the beginning whether I needed to register with a website someplace....

Thanks for your attempted help but I have removed the program from my Mac. It is just not for me.