Using RTTY in Ventura 14.2.1 on a Mac mini

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
K8AJS

Using RTTY in Ventura 14.2.1 on a Mac mini

Unread post by K8AJS »

It's been a very long time since I've run RTTY in this configuration, but I had a notion to participate in the CQ-WPX-RTTY contest this weekend.

I set it all up and everything looks good. I can hear and decode other users and I'm sending messges seemingly OK, BUT no matter who I call, they cannot decode my signal. I've looked through everything I can think of can cannot find whst I'm doing wrong.

It's a Mac mini with an M1 processor with 16GB of RAM. The radio is an Elecraft K3. I often run WSJT-X to use FT8 and FT4 with no problem, but FSK D is stumping me for some reason. Does anyone have an idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Using RTTY in Ventura 14.2.1 on a Mac mini

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Revers? Wrong shift? Wrong baud rate?
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K8AJS

Unread post by K8AJS »

DL2RUM wrote: Sat 10. Feb 2024, 10:39 Revers? Wrong shift? Wrong baud rate?
Thank you. It was a POL setting that isn't even mentioned in the manual, In the MENU CONFIG settings there is an FSK POL selection. Choices are 0 (zero) or 1 (one). When I set it to 1 I was successfully decoded.

Thank you again.
John Bastin K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

This results in sending reverse. You haven‘t mentioned, you use an external device.
K8AJS

Unread post by K8AJS »

DL2RUM wrote: Sat 10. Feb 2024, 12:24 This results in sending reverse. You haven‘t mentioned, you use an external device.
But I'm not using an external device to my knowledge. The FSK is generated in the K3, I'm sending the text from the contest module software, OR I can use the internal keyer sending manual CW to result in RTTY out to the transmit stage.
John Bastin K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The polarity setting is for the real FSK input pin only.

From the manual:
FSK Transmit Polarity
You can invert the logic level of the FSK IN line in FSK D mode using CONFIG:FSK POL. This should be used only with external keying via computer programs such as MMTTY; it is not recommended for use with CW-to-DATA (pg. 34).
This setting will revers the output as well, but this is not the intended function in your case.