Receiving UDP broadcast in RUMlogNG

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
K3DCW

Receiving UDP broadcast in RUMlogNG

Unread post by K3DCW »

Tom/All,

Is there any way to set RUMlogNG to receive UDP broadcasts from another piece of software? I would like to get Marcus Roskosch's (DL8MRE) new SmartSDR for Mac's logbook to send logs from its built-in logbook to RUMlogNG, but can't seem to make it work. I'm not sure whether RUMlogNG can be configured to receive these packets, but if it can I'm obviously doing something incorrectly.

SmartSDR for Mac can send UDP packets using "UDP Broadcast of Log Entries (e.g. to Log4OM or N1MM)" and you can configure the address and port (default port is 2237), but I've tried configuring both SmartSDR for Mac and RUMlogNG for 2237, 12060, and others.

Any ideas, or am I chasing something that RUMlogNG can't do at present?

73!
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Receiving UDP broadcast in RUMlogNG

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Direct logging via UDP is possible from WSJT-X, JTDX, Stemlab, etc. only. RUMlog can send out N1MM packets, but doesn't receive them.
When SmartSDR uses the N1MM scheme (https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/e ... s/#contact) , I should be able to add this feature.
Examples for different logging scenarios from the UDP packets would be helpful.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

Tom,

Thanks. Glad to know that I wasn't doing anything wrong. :D

I'll see if I can collect a couple of samples of what SmartSDR for Mac is sending out in its UDP feed. I should be able to get than in the next day or so.

73!
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

Tom,

I set the SmartSDR for Mac logbook to output to 127.0.0.1:9932 so that I could monitor the output with udp_listener from Don (VE3VRW). 9932 is the only port that udp_listener listens to, although SmartSDR's logbook defaults to 2237.

Here is a snapshot of the settings:
Logbook.png
I then did two test logs and udp_listener reported the following command/format (sorry for the picture, but udp_listener doesn't provide a text output). It looks like basic ADIF format with a simple command structure. I also did a test by deleting a log from the SmartSDR logbook, but it did not produce any output, so I think we're looking at a logging function only.
Test1.png
Test2.png
I hope that this is useful. If you need any more info from me, simply let me know and I'll get what I can.
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

This is not the N1MM format! I could get it working, but you should ask the developer for the message specification.
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

It does appear to match this data as expected by N1MM+:

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/e ... ta-to-n1mm

I will reach out to the developer.

Dave
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Tnx David,

I have had to read it further down. I’m confused, why does N1MM use different formats for sending and receiving QSO data?
It seems, the N1MM docs are sufficiently.
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

Tom,

Yes, it is a bit odd, isn't it?
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

I've also reached out to Marcus to ask if he could simply incorporate the WSJT-X method of logging, using the NetworkMessage.hpp protocol which I believe you already support.
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

I just heard back from Marcus saying that he would be happy to add the existing WSJT-X UDP protocol (using NetworkMessage.hpp format) to SmartSDR for Mac, so that may take care of this issue of supporting auto-logging to RUMlogNG.

It won't be in the next release, but possibly in the one after that.
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"