N1MM compatible and waterfall bandmap

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
n2iw

N1MM compatible and waterfall bandmap

Unread post by n2iw »

I have been using RumLog(NG) for many years and love it! Recently I got an SDRPlay to go with my TS-590SG. I like the waterfall bandmap written by N2IC, and was able to make it work with RumLogNG, with Parallels Desktop in "no desktop" mode, the bandmap cans run side by side with RumLogNG, that's just awesome!

However, when I change the frequency on my radio, the bandmap only change it's frequency about 1 second, which is not very comfortable. When it connects with N1MM, it follows radio much faster. I guess RumLog does not send out frequency info to UDP port very often? I wonder is there a way to set it as fast as possible? Or give us a setting to set how frequent the info will be sent to UDP? Thanks a lot!

BTW. I wish there was a Mac software can do what waterfall bandmap do!

Ming, N2IW
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: N1MM compatible and waterfall bandmap

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Please post a screen shot. I don't know the things you are talking about. Others may be interested too.
The N1MM Radio Broadcast is triggered every 5 seconds or when the trx has moved 10 kHz away. I'm not aware of any user scenarios where it is used. I use the radio broadcast just for a tuner and an antenna switch. I could change the frequency difference to just 100 Hz. HW???
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
n2iw

Unread post by n2iw »

Thanks so much for the quick reply Tom! Information for waterfall bandmap can be found at https://groups.io/g/waterfallbandmap/topics A lot of contesters use it with N1MM logging app. As you can see in the attachment, the waterfall bandmap can display a waterfall from SDR and put spots on it also, so you can see if you can really hear a station in the spot. Also what stations have not been spotted. It's really useful for me as a DXer.
Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.35.55 PM.png
The bandmap needs N1MM or RumlogNG in my case to send spots information as well as radio information to port 13063. My Parallels Desktop VM runs on internal IP 10.211.55.3. You can see how I set it in RumLogNG to make it work with Waterfall Bandmap. If you can make RumLogNG send radio info every 100Hz, that probably will be good enough! Another thing is, the spots N1MM sent out have different colors, to differentiate between country/band etc. If RumLogNG can do similar thing, that would be even better!
Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.36.10 PM.png
Thanks again Tom, can't wait for the new update!
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Great to see for what the broadcast is useful! How does N1MM color code the dx spots? All I know is written here: https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/e ... #spot-data
n2iw

Unread post by n2iw »

I believe N1MM, as a contest logger, only count multiplier related status, here is what I found

<status>single mult</status>

The values for status are:

busy – marked by N1MM user as a frequency to note
bust – a busted call (when CT1BOH tags are present)
cq – the cq frequency on this band (last place F1 was pressed)
dupe – duplicate contact
qtc – a WAE qtc
single mult – this spot is a single multiplier in this contest
double mult – this spot is a double (or more) mult in this contest
new qso – a logged qso (this is now a dupe by definition)

Maybe we can define a mapping between what a DXer cares and what N1MM defined. For example, "double mult" == "new coutry", "single mult" == "new band/mode" etc. It's not ideal, but at least, we can utilize the color or Waterfall Bandmap to give us some useful information.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Makes sense. Can you find out which colours are used for which tag? Then I can try to match the colours in RUMlog.
n2iw

Unread post by n2iw »

I believe Waterfall Bandmap uses the same colors as N1MM+. Following paragraph is copied from N1MM+ manual:

Colors of the Incoming Spots
  • Blue: Will be a good QSO, not a multiplier
  • Red: Single Multiplier Example: CQWW – QSO is either zone or country multiplier (one multiplier)
  • Green: Double or better Multiplier Example: CQWW – QSO is a zone and a country multiplier (two multipliers)
  • Gray: Dupe
  • Bold – This is a self-spotted call. In this context “self spotted” means that the user typed in the call, not that the spot came from the spotting network.
I attached Waterfall Bandmap manual here, just in case you need it.
WaterfallBandmap.doc
(355.5 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
WaterfallBandmap.doc
(355.5 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Check this pse and provide a feedback: dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/RUMlogNG_Test.zip
Works great with an Icom, can't check Kenwood. No colours yet, maybe tomorrow.
n2iw

Unread post by n2iw »

Thanks Tom! It works perfectly with my TS-590SG! Waterfall Bandmap follows radio very smoothly, even better than N1MM! Is it updating when frequency changes more than 100Hz? I feel it's more accurate than that, which is perfect! I checked CPU usage, and didn't see any noticeable increase. I really like how it feels, thanks so much for the quick update!

Ming, N2IW
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Next try: dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/RUMlogNG_Test.zip
I removed the <statuslist> tag, no idea for what it is used for.
The <status> tag is set to the following:
  • Station worked before: double mult - should be green
  • DXCC, band or mode not confirmed: single mult - should be red
  • Slot not confirmed: Nil - should be blue
  • Others: Dupe - should be gray