ARRL Field Day Dupe Issue

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
KI7BCL

ARRL Field Day Dupe Issue

Unread post by KI7BCL »

According to the ARRL rules, you can contact the same station on different bands and/or different modes. This past event, I contacted six stations on both SSB and FT8 but RumLogNG (5.12.5) indicates them as dupes.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need an update? The entry deadline is July 25th.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: ARRL Field Day Dupe Issue

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I can't confirm this. Can you e-mail me your full log file as original?
But nevertheless, there is no need for a fix. Scoring and dupe checking is not part of your log file.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
KI7BCL

Unread post by KI7BCL »

Tom - I've sent my log. Of the six contacts indicated as dupes, one actually is. I have corrected the points claimed in the Cabrillo file but RL should really show the correct data.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Tnx for the Log. How so you have logged the FT8 QSOs? I would like to duplicate the issue.
To fix your log:
  • Double click a dupe QSO to open the QSO editor
  • Just press Enter
  • The dupe is gone.
KI7BCL

Unread post by KI7BCL »

Tom - thanks for the info. I followed your instruction and was able to remove the 5 non-duplicates.

I must confess that I used a different logger for the event as I found RL cumbersome: I will explain below. After the event, I export an adif file and then import it into RL. In the other logger, I have USB-D set to log as FT8.

As to the reason for this - I have found that in a contest (assuming a phone contact), I usually enter the callsign first, then enter the exchange info. RL forces me to tab through the RST Sent, the Number Sent, and the RST Received fields before I can enter the received exchange info. In the FD event, no RST is required. As I have already set my Exchange Info, it would be better (for me at least) if I could enter the callsign, then tab to the Received Info directly. On my normal logger, I can set this up to avoid any intermediate fields.

This same issue also exists for other events such as WFDA Winter Field Day, Idaho QSO Party, and the 7th Call Area QSO Party. I would prefer to use RL for these contests (and others), but this has caused me many errors in the past and I have found that using my other logger, then doing the export/import to generate a Cabrillo file is better for my little remaining sanity :)

Thanks again for the help and I am willing to help in any testing if you wish,

Fred
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

RL forces me to tab through the RST Sent, the Number Sent, and the RST Received fields before I can enter the received exchange info.
The Space Bar could become your friend.
KI7BCL

Unread post by KI7BCL »

Tom - Well what do you know! I finally found this little gem in the "In the Contest" manual entry. Thanks!

However, is there a reason the RST fields are not only displayed but also in the Cabrillo file for the Field Day template? They are not a required exchange point. Yes, I know it doesn't impact anything, just asking.

Thanks again,

Fred