RumLogNG w/ FLDIGI in Sept 2020 CQ WW DX RTTY contest

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
K9QJS

RumLogNG w/ FLDIGI in Sept 2020 CQ WW DX RTTY contest

Unread post by K9QJS »

Listed here is my screen video of using RumLogNG with FLDIGI in the September 2020 CQ WW DX RTTY Contest. First video of its kind for me and I am doing it for friends in my ham club, and thinking it may be of interest to others.

I have been using RumLogNG for 8 years or so, but still learning more about it every day.

This is a "private" video, viewable only with this URL:

Feedback welcome.

Hoop K9QJS
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: RumLogNG w/ FLDIGI in Sept 2020 CQ WW DX RTTY contest

Unread post by DL2RUM »

It seems it is "too private". Can't see it.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K9QJS

Unread post by K9QJS »

I changed the setting from "private" to "unlisted." Try again.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Very well done. I will post the link in the Facebook group for a bigger audience.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K9QJS

Unread post by K9QJS »

Tom - thanks and I will change status to "public". 73 Hoop K9QJS
NN7M

Unread post by NN7M »

Excellent video Hoop! I've tried a few times to get RumLogNG and not had any success. If you can, could you post some pictures of your settings?

I'm using a IC-756 Pro 3 with a SignaLinkUSB to control the TX.

Question for you, how do you get that RTTY window below the contest log in the video.

Ryan NN7M
K9QJS

Unread post by K9QJS »

Ryan,

At about 57 seconds into the video, you can see my TX1 settings. Stop the video to study it, and then a few seconds later, and for only a second, you can see my settings on the RumLogNG uHam/Fldigi tab. I don't show the Contest Preferences Tab for RTTY, but it designates the RTTY interface as Fldigi. Let me know if you want my Fldigi configuration settings, but I believe they are just the basic ones. On the Fldigi Rig Control > flrig is set to 127.0.0.1 , the port is a mismatch on my Mac in Fldigi (12345) compared to RumLogNG (7362) and I can't explain that. But it works.

On the Mac, to get the function keys to work, System Preferences > Keyboard > Use F1, F2, etc as standard function keys.

On RumLogNG, to get the decode window to appear below the Contest Window, the contest mode is set to RTTY (or PSK31) and then the decode window will appear. The decode window only appears in contest mode. The transceiver needs to be set correctly as well, and on my 7300 because I am using AFSK, my rig is in USB-D mode; I think that is right. I don't have an opportunity to check at the moment.

A caution: the "Running" setting button which toggles to the "S & P" affect the behavior of "Enter Sends Message", so its best to experiment with it a little bit. Where the cursor is in the entry fields (eg "callsign" or "Number rcvd") will change the behavior of the enter key.

Hoop
NN7M

Unread post by NN7M »

Hoop,

Thanks for the reply. I rewatched your video and mirrored your RumlogNG config settings. I also found the RTTY tab in the contest preferences window. I can now see the RTTY screen in Rumlog.

Flfigi has the default settings for xml server parameters, 127.0.0.1 port 12345. The settings in RumlogNG are 127.0.0.1 port 7362

I am not getting decodes from Fldigi into the RTTY window on RumlogNG, nor is the frequency info changing on the Flgidi screen. I suspect the xml server isn't working, I'm not sure how to fix this. When I press the reconnect button in the Fldigi configuration screen, Fldigi crashes.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ryan
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.26.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.26.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.25.47 PM.png
K9QJS

Unread post by K9QJS »

Ryan

I looked at your settings and I am not seeing any obvious differences. I note that, on the uHam/Fldigi tab, under Fldigi, the Host and Port fields are grayed out. Not sure why that is. The numbers are the same as on my configuration.

I do have RigCat enabled on Fldigi. That's a possible difference between our settings.

Hoop
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.00.48 PM.png
NN7M

Unread post by NN7M »

Enabling RigCat shows the radio's frequency on Fldigi, but doesn't doesn't send any decode info from Fldigi to RumLogNG. Also, I've lost CAT control for Rumlog. I'm not sure how to get cat info from Fldigi to RumLogNG.

Your settings in the video seem very straight forward. I have duplicated them, but something must not be right in my Fldigi.