CQ VHF Contest retrospective.

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
kb9kld

CQ VHF Contest retrospective.

Unread post by kb9kld »

Over the weekend I participated in the CQ VHF contest using RumlogNG and WSJT-X. I was making voice contacts and FT8. I once again ran into the issue of having two radios to manage between the bands. One for 6M and the other for 2M. The contest allows switching bands at any time and it is fairly common to work a contact on both bands by switching back and forth. Toggling the radio required reloading the configuration in the contest window vs just toggling back and forth like in the main logging window. The other option was to manually change the band information on the input form, but sometime the CAT would override it if I was not paying attention. Just having a manual toggle in the contest window to go between TX 1 and 2 vs having to completely reload the config of TX 1 each time I switched would have been a benefit. I am spoiled by how easy it is in the main window for day to day logging.

Another issue I ran into was with WSJT-X integration. The call check worked smoothly and always pre-populated the log entry. It was instant when I clicked a decode in the WSJT-X window. After the contact was completed and WSJT-X tried to log the contact, Rumlog would hang with the OS spinning ball for 10 - 15 seconds while the log entry was committed. WSJT-X was responsive at the same time. I tried the contest auto logging and having WSJT-X prompt to log and both had the same issue. It would occasionally work fast, but most of the time it hung. I was using CAT through Rumlog to drive the PTT in the radio and while it was hung, the PTT would not be usable as RUMLog was locked. This preventing further contacts until it cleared. I ended up turning off the log integration and just populated the exchange manually and committed the log entry in Rumlog myself. That worked ok, but I wonder why the integration was hanging. Especially when the call check populates very fast. Committing the log entry manually in Rumlog myself was always instant. The computer is a current generation Mac Mini, so there should be plenty of CPU power.

Overall it was a good contest. If there were solutions to the above, the software is overall a good partner to operating.

Jeff