Avery 3474 labels cut off on the top

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
ddanecki

Avery 3474 labels cut off on the top

Unread post by ddanecki »

Hi Tom!

I'm trying to use RUMlogNG to print Labels. I've got Avery 3437 labels (70x37). I have set up paper size to 210x297 with 0mm margins.

The problem is that first labels are cut off from the top. Approximately 2mm. When I try to set up 2mm margin on the top, every second page is blank (whatever is supposed to be on 1st page, does not fit there). I could probably live with that, however it would be much easier if I could get it to work as it should.

I understand that the printer has "non printable area" which cannot be printed and that's where the cut off is coming from.

Did you have a similar problem ? Or is it just me ? I've tried couple different printers, HP C3480, HP P2055, Konica Minolta C203 (this one was supposed to be able to do borderless print, but I couldn't get it to work).

Any word of wisdom will be appreciated ;)
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Avery 3474 labels cut off on the top

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Please print a sheet to pdf and compare it to the attached print out. I assume, there is somewhere a "zoom" option set wrong.
Attachments
3474.pdf
(47.59 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
3474.pdf
(47.59 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
ddanecki

It is exactly the same. When I print to PDF everything is fine. But when I try to print to printer, it is cut off. Even when I try to print the PDF file which looks ok.

I've just tried to print the file I've got from you. Same problem. It seems that the labels are too high on the paper.
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

This means, the problem is in your printer settings.
ddanecki

I'v got my printer to print borderless somehow. Instead of defining custom paper size, I've used Borderless A4 from the list of sizes for this particular printer. The outcome still does not look as it should. The printer did start printing from the very edge of the paper sheet, however letters are cut off. Please check the attached scan. I don't think it's a printer issue. What printer do you use ?
Avery 3747 scan, borderless printing
Avery 3747 scan, borderless printing
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Daniel,

in your scan I can't see if the missing upper parts are
  • out of the label
  • out of the paper
  • just not printed
My printer isn't able to print borderless, so I use 3475 (70x36mm). My sheets have a 4mm gap at the upper and lower edge, this is perfect for my printer.
ddanecki

On the scan, the missing part is out of paper.

However if I do standard printing with paper size with margins set to 0, the missing part is not printed. There's about 3mm gap between edge of paper and start point of the printout. It looks like this part is not printed. It is almost like the margin was somehow hardcoded in the file (PDF) or RUMlog as this part gets never printed. My trick to print it is to set up 2mm margin on the top using custom paper size. However that creates second empty page.

If the entire printout was 2mm lower, it would have been perfect. At least on the top. Bottom should be fine too.

Is anyone using 3474 ? Or am I the first one to test it ?
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Except the 3475 I made all labels on request only. Someone was happy with it, can't remember who.

Is your paper size DIN A4? I know, there are papers out there with an extra border at the upper and lower edge.

When you print to pdf and it looks good, the math is correct. When the paper printout looks different, then the problem must be in the printer settings.
Make sure, you select the paper from the RUMlog Menu-->Edit-->Page Setup
ddanecki

Yes, paper size is A4. I've tried probably about 6 different printers with same outcome.

Anyway, my way to fix the problem is to set 2mm margin on the top of RUMlog paper size. This way everything is correct. The only problem is that every second page is empty. But it's not a big deal. I've printed it to PDF using PDFWriter for mac. Then printed it to PDF again with Preview (only odd pages). This way I have one PDF file of an entire log.

One more thing, if during printing labels I select "Show Dialog", it is showing one for every single page. With up to 10 pages it is ok. But I have 14.000 QSO to print :) Would it be possible to show one dialog for entire printout ?

Next time I have to do more tests before ordering labels ;) If I'v spotted the problem earlier, I would go with 3475 instead of 3474.
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

One more thing, if during printing labels I select "Show Dialog", it is showing one for every single page.
I haven't find a solution for this yet. But as workaround I added the option to hide the dialog completely.