Can not open com port under Linux

Control and memory management software for Icom transceivers
kc7dx

Can not open com port under Linux

Unread post by kc7dx »

I am attempting to use RUMtrol7000 Ver. ... dated 07 March 2007 under Linux Ubuntu 6.10. I have several problems. The first is that the font is so big in the About dialog box that the version number is off the right side of the window and I can not read it. Secondly, I can only see the top half of the letters in the Okay button. In fact, most of the buttons I can only see the top part of the letters. These problems I can live with.

I attempt to set the Port to /dev/ttyS0 19200 baud and I get "Can't open COM Port (there may be more off the side of the window) Error 0 -)". I can use other programs (like hamlib rigctl) with /dev/ttyS0.

Finally,
I also wish I could type in a string for the serial port because then I could use /dev/ttyR0 or ttyUSB0 which I also have on my machine.

I will attempt to use the mac and windows version and see what happens.

73, and thanks for the work.

Lowell
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Can not open com port under Linux

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Lowell,

I haven't used Linux before and I'm not familiar with it. A requirement is GTK+ 2.x Since I can't test any under Linux, I've discontinued the compilation for Linix. Can you send a screenshot?
For you to test I've compiled the latest version for Linux:
http://www.dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMtrol7000Lin.zip
Give it a try. There where also some changes concerning the serial ports.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
kc7dx

Unread post by kc7dx »

I was able to run the mac version so I think I understand how this works. And, by the way, thanks a bunch for the program. I spent about 4 hours loading up my memories.

I downloaded the version you supplied above and still have the same problems. Let me see if I can include some helpful screen shots.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lowell.brun ... l7000RTLin

Are you able to share the source code?

Lowell
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hmm, it seems the font is to big for push buttons and popup menus. It's a cosmetic issue, which I could fix.
Error 100 means, the port is busy by another application. But I found a possible problem in the code under Linux. I've changed slightly the assignment to the port. But this should not fix your problem with the missing ports. It is hard to troubleshoot, when I have no Linux system here to test and I don't like to make the code public.

http://www.dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMtrol7000Lin.zip
kc7dx

Unread post by kc7dx »

That is much better. I can now open and use one of the four common serial ports. I am not aware of a way under Linux to list all the serial ports. Often there are symbolic links to make identifying ports easier. Also, USB serial ports and multi port serial boards have other paths as well. For instance my rig may be plugged into /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyR0 or /dev/icom (which points to one of the other ports). So, having a dialog box that allows typing in a path to the serial port would be helpful.

I would be happy to do more testing under Linux if you are interested.

Lowell
lowell at vanilla punct rain punct com
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

That's sounds good.
RUMtrol asks the operating system for available ports, only these reported ports are usable. I've searched around, but nobody else found a solution for that common problem under Linux.
Please confirm, otherwise the program works and is useable for you under Linux. So we can fix the cosmetic problems.