RUMtrol and IC-7000

Control and memory management software for Icom transceivers
WA0TJT

RUMtrol and IC-7000

Unread post by WA0TJT »

Thank you for creating this program.

I run RUMtrol on my MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz w/4Gig ram

Some observations I would appreciate comments on;
1) On all pages it says "COM Port open" is this normal?
2) When moving from screen to screen, especially back to the Real Time screen the frequency of the radio is always shifted to someplace else. Often this moves from 20m where I was to 2m, I can't narrow down the pattern but it is always back to 146.790Mhz on 2 meters.
3) TRCVR-->Read All From XRX appears to work but not all the memory bank drop downs on the Real Time page are filled.
4) I use RUMtrol in conjunction with cocoaModem connected via a second Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor, I'm curious if anyone else is doing this and how it seems to be working for you. Sometimes RUMtrol complains when I go to transmit (PSK31), it says Communications Error. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: RUMtrol and IC-7000

Unread post by DL2RUM »

1) On all pages it says "COM Port open" is this normal?
Yes, this is normal.
2) When moving from screen to screen, especially back to the Real Time screen the frequency of the radio is always shifted to someplace else. Often this moves from 20m where I was to 2m, I can't narrow down the pattern but it is always back to 146.790Mhz on 2 meters.
No idea yet, I have to investigate.
3) TRCVR-->Read All From XRX appears to work but not all the memory bank drop downs on the Real Time page are filled.
You have to read back all memories bank by bank to fill the popup menus.
4) I use RUMtrol in conjunction with cocoaModem connected via a second Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor, I'm curious if anyone else is doing this and how it seems to be working for you. Sometimes RUMtrol complains when I go to transmit (PSK31), it says Communications Error. Any thoughts?
You can switch off this message in the preferences. You can try to reduce the numbers of COM errors by decreasing the poll time.

In the past I made some smaller improvements, without upload it. I'm wondering, if somebody using the Real Time part.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
WA0TJT

Unread post by WA0TJT »

I use the Real Time for rig control, it works great, near as I can tell there is only one thing missing; a way to auto tune. That one button forces me to reach across my desk anytime I want to change bands... LOL Hardly a complaint, so don't take it that way.

OK, on answer #1
I can wait for you to investigate #2, I suspect if I am among the few using RUMtrol for rig control this may not have come up before.
Number 3 seems unusual but I'm sure you had programatic reasons for it.
How do I change the "poll time" as referenced in #4?

Thanks...
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Number 3 seems unusual but I'm sure you had programatic reasons for it.
This is to ensure you are tuning to the correct memory. But I see, it is not very practicable. I will think about it.
How do I change the "poll time" as referenced in #4?
Use the preferences (Command comma) to make your settings.
one thing missing; a way to auto tune
What do you mean? Starting the antenna tuner?
WA0TJT

Unread post by WA0TJT »

Yes, starting the antenna tuner is not something I see how to do.

Was just playing, maybe I shouldn't push my luck here but I noticed that when I click the bar (line) under or over any of the digits in the frequency, things change. Would make sense for the number to change up or down, but after making a change this way, the display will not reset when you select a memory from a drop-down bank. I had to use the Input button to change it first then the drop-downs work again.

I love the fact that you are still working on this, so few programmers stay with a project long enough. I've been a programmer for almost 30 years and I know exactly how it goes after a while it just gets boring. I would encourage you to keep up the great work here, eventually the rest of the world will catch on to the Mac and if we are not too old to enjoy the day we can say .... see I told you so. LOL

Thanks again..
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

That's a normal behavior. Since it is not possible to ask the TRX for its complete status, I set it into a default one. This will be done every time you select the Real Time tab. There are some advantages and some disadvantages to do this every time.

The default status includes:
VFO Mode selected
VFO A active
Split off
Memory A1 selected 'in stand by'

Is this what you have observed?