Read but not write on XP

Control and memory management software for Icom transceivers
KI4MRC

Read but not write on XP

Unread post by KI4MRC »

I am hoping you can help me with writing memories to a 746 Pro. I am able to read memories but I cannot write. Let me correct that....I was able to write once but not again since. This has been all in the same sitting. (3 hours)

Running Version 2.0.2
Windows XP
3.19 GHz w/ 1GB Ram

Rumtrol Settings
Slider to the right (tried slider in several positions)
19200 Baud (also tried 9600)
All boxes checked in preferences
COM 1

746Pro Settings
19200 Baud
Transceive on
Address 66h

Symptoms
I can "read" memories from the Icom 746Pro but cannot read any other settings (setup, audio and etc.)
When I try to "Write to TRX" it will just show the progress bar for a split second and make the beeping sound of completion.
If I check the box "write All" it will attempt to write but then the program will stop responding after 3 bars of progress.....about 5 seconds.

If I select "Write all to TRX" from the menu drop down at the top it will actually go through all of the motions of writing.....asks me to press the "filter" key and etc but nothing actually writes.

I am so anxious to use this program on both my PC and Mac. I am not sure if it's user error or hardware failure. Maybe I need another cable for the radio.

Your thoughts and assistance is very appreciated.

Mike
KI4MRC
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Read but not write on XP

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Do you have tried to set the "Write All" option, before pressing the "Write to TRX" button? Can you make sure your CAT interface is working properly? Do you have tried to set the "Set DTR Line" and/or "Set RTS Line" in the RUMtrol preferences? Some interfaces need this signals to power up.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
KI4MRC

Unread post by KI4MRC »

Since posting I actually went to Radio Shack and purchased the Item 20-047 USB programming cable.http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2177609

I did see a few posts in here where users have had much satisfaction using this cable with Rumtrol. I have tried this cable on both my PC and Mac with no luck communicating read or write. I have tried the cable with and without the additional adapter which comes with it.

I have reverted back to my original serial cable.

I am able to read the first 10 memories from the 746Pro. beyond 10 memories I receive and error "Memory<1" I receive this error by clicking on read from TRX or read all from TRX. I have "Set DTR Line" and/or "Set RTS Line" I have tried 9600 and 192000 baud and made sure the rate was the same on the radio each time. I have tried reassigning the com port and have tried COM 1, 2, 6, and 9.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hmm, sounds not good. Do you have an interface driver for your Mac? Running RUMtrol on a Mac is much less complicated. You could try the standart FTDI Mac driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
KI4MRC

Re: Read but not write on XP & no com for Mac OSx

Unread post by KI4MRC »

DL2RUM wrote:Hmm, sounds not good. Do you have an interface driver for your Mac? Running RUMtrol on a Mac is much less complicated. You could try the standart FTDI Mac driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Okay. I have switched to my MacBook Pro. The interface I'm using is the RadioShack 20-047 Programming Cable, which connects to the computer via one of the USB ports. I did download the Mac driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

I have tried bauds, 300, 9600, and 19200. Rumtrol does recognize the adapter as usbserial-GRE-0412. The adapter did come with two connectors. Do you know if I should be using the mono or stereo. One has two black rings and the other has just one. I have tested both of them. I am unable to read or write to the 746Pro. I have verified the radio address, transceive on, and etc.

I do not think it is hardware on the radio since I can read the radio from XP. I think I am just missing something simple but wish I knew what it was.
KI4MRC

Unread post by KI4MRC »

I am making progress.....

I have unchecked "Enable DTR" "Set RTS Line:" "Set DTR Line"

This allows me to read memories from the radio. I can do so in either 9600 or 19200 baud. I am unable to write yet. I have the slider all the way to the right.

Any ideas for "write" ability?
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

You have to use the stereo plug. The tip must be connected with the data, the sleeve ist connected to ground. The ring must be not connected for proper operation. I know you have checked it twice, but are you really sure, the TRX id is set to 66h? I ask because, when receiving data, RUMtrol will not check the address, but for writing data the address mus match.
KI4MRC

Unread post by KI4MRC »

Here's the latest....

I can see that I can read the first 11 memories before the communication fails. It seems like the Mac is too fast. I can see the send and receive data on the USB unit flash and then quit after a couple seconds.

I have unchecked "Enable DTR" "Set RTS Line:" "Set DTR Line"
Address 66h
baud 9600 on both (i have tried most every baud rate available)
Slider max to right

If I attempt to read the entire TRX is will read only portions of each section. Almost as if the communication is interrupted and then continues.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I guess, I loose my options for a further remote trouble shooting.
Do you have tried other software to ensure your hardware is okay?
KI4MRC

Unread post by KI4MRC »

Well....I have some exciting news. :D

I found an old Radio Shack USB to Serial Cable and decided to give it a try. I gave up on the 20-047 USB programming cable. I know many others have had much luck with this cable but it just would not play nice with my MacBook Pro and 746Pro.

I first found drivers for MAC OS X at
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/d ... river.html

I checked every box under preferences in Rumtrol and set the baud to 9600. The entire program works like a charm. I mean it works absolutely PERFECT! I know many others say they sometimes need to go into preferences and select "okay" just to make it read or write....this too is no longer any problem. It has come down to finding the exact piece of hardware and drivers to make this work.

I did spend tons of hours to make this work because I know this program will return those hours to me 10 fold now. Tom, thanks for writing this program and sticking with me to get it working. I also am very grateful for you amazingly quick responses.

KI4MRC

Mike