Importing Fldigi contacts into RUMlog

QSO logging software for the Mac
NY3M

Importing Fldigi contacts into RUMlog

Unread post by NY3M »

New to the computerized digital modes, I turned to Fldigi with my TS-590s and Macbook Pro running OSX-Yosemite 10.10. I chose Fldigi because it has its own log with quick entry during a qso.

The Fldigi worked fine, but I wanted a way easily to import my contacts into RUMlog. The simple way — export ADIF files from Fldigi and importing them into RumLog works, but it lacks a bit of elegance.

The RumLog manual specifies a way to import them direct. Easy enough, except that in OS 10.10, the RUMlog instruction about holding the command key down as a way to reveal Fldigi’s hidden log doesn’t work.

Here’s how I solved the problem.

1. Open the Terminal app from the Utilities folder.

2. Enter this command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

3. Holding the option-key down, right-click on the Finder icon in the dock to reveal the Relaunch command. This will reboot the finder and, hey presto! All the hidden files are revealed!

4. Then navigate to the previously hidden .fldigi folder at the root level (as instructed by the RUMlog manual), find the log.adif file in there and make an alias file of it (right-click and choose Make Alias). Drag this alias file to wherever you would like it to be — I put mine in a folder near where my RUMlog logs are stored. I like all my logs to be together.

5. Once again, go to the Terminal program and enter this command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

6. Repeat step 3, relaunching the finder, which hides the hidden files again, as they should be.

7. Now, one can simply choose the alias when setting up RUMlog to read the Fldigi log. No worry about finding a hidden file.

I rather dislike Fldigi’s hiding its log that way, but at least my 7 steps above give a lasting solution to the problem.

Now to see what Cocoamodem has to offer...

73 de Bill NY3M