Cancel CW transmission

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
G0TPH

Cancel CW transmission

Unread post by G0TPH »

Hello,
I'm using RUMped 3.2 with a KX3 and I'm using the "TRX Built In" feature to get the KX3 to generate CW. Is there a way to cancel a transmission in progress, for example when I have pressed the wrong key or if I find I am doubling?
Alan, G0TPH
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Cancel CW transmission

Unread post by DL2RUM »

To cancel a transmission hit the Escape key. The K3 "KY" command will be used for generating CW. When pressing Escape, the the @ character (.--.-.) will be sent to the TRX. You have to change one menu to allow that.

From the "Programmers Reference":
@ In CW mode, this character normally terminates any CW message (via KY or manual send),
emulating the K2. However, tapping 2 in CONFIG:CW WGHT changes ‘@’ to a prosign:
the ‘at’ sign as used in e-mail addresses. This is the newest Morse Code character;
it can be remembered as the prosign ‘AC’ (as in “the At Character”).
I don't have a KX3 available, so your help is appreciated. As far as I remember, this option was not available in the first KX3 firmware. Please check! Then I have to use another way to cancel the transmission.

Please report.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
G0TPH

Unread post by G0TPH »

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the feedback. My KX3 does not respond to tapping 2 in the CW WGHT menu so I guess this has not been implemented yet by Elecraft.

I am currently on version uC 1.12 and DSP 00.94 of the KX3 firmware.

This isn't quite the latest version - a new one has been made but the release notes don't indicate that the @ = STOP has been changed in any way so I guess it has not been implemented.

I will be loading this up and trying it in the next couple of days and I will report back either way. I have also sent Elecraft an email to enquire about this and I will let you know what they say.

Alan, G0TPH
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Thanks for the info Alan. I will change the code also and use another command to cancel the transmission. When I started to code the K3 CW generation, the KY @; command was the only way to abort. But now we have other commands available and I guess most users will not still have a 2 years old firmware version active.
Stay tuned.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
G0TPH

Unread post by G0TPH »

Hello Tom,

Wayne from Elecraft has just responded to say that it is not implemented yet, but it has now been added to his to-do list.

It is very kind of you to offer to update RUMped for this issue but I don't want to put you out for such a small problem. I can easily wait for the Elecraft update if that is OK with you.

Alan, G0TPH