User-defined Fields

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
n9kju

User-defined Fields

Unread post by n9kju »

I have only been using RUMlogNG for a few weeks do far. I am quite impressed by its capabilities. I have learned a lot by reading through the manual. I am not sure that I have a good understanding of what I can or maybe I should say what I should use the User-defined fields for.

I am recently back into Ham Radio after a long absence. I have a few paper log books from years past and I am entering these old logs into RUMlogNG.

I have been using UDF #1 for recording TEN_TEN numbers. I've labeled UDF #2 as Exchange and used this to record contest exchanges. Since I have worked a few ARRL Sweepstakes contests, I am using UDF #3 for ARRL_SECT. I don't see anything in the documentation to explain Mapping.

If set the name of UDF1 to TEN_TEN, does this mean that an ADIF export will include the value in box UDF #1 with the ADIF tag TEN_TEN? Then also use ARRL_SECT with the value in UDF #3? Exchange is not a recognized ADIF tag, but until I work some new contest with RUMlogNG, it us a useful way for me to record old log entries from my paper log books into this new computer log.

I've seen other forum posts about ARRL Sections, but I don't see any way to validate my abbreviations. I was looking for something like US Counties where there is a known list to pick from. ButI expect that would require an enhancement to the RUMlogNG program and not just something I can add as a user.
Ken Schumacher -- 73 de N9KJU
Wheaton, IL 60187 USA -- IL,DuPage County
Grid Sq: EN51wv CQZ: 4 ITU: 8
10-10# 67438 -- FISTS #3329
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: User-defined Fields

Unread post by DL2RUM »

There is a dedicated logbook field for the US-County, see here: http://dl2rum.de/RUMlogNG/docs/en/pages ... ields.html

When you use an UDF, this data will be ex- and imported as an Application-defined Field, see here: http://adif.org/308/ADIF_308.htm#ADI_Ap ... ned_Fields
But you can map your UDF to an existing ADIF tag in the Preferences. Often used for stations moving around is the mapping to <MY_GRIDSQUARE> or <MY_SOTA_REF>. When you have chosen a mapping, date will be ex- and imported using this ADIF tag.

<TEN_TEN> is a valid ADIF tag, but not supported by RUMLog. If you wish, I could add it. There are to many tags available, so I add new ones only on request when desired.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
n9kju

Unread post by n9kju »

Thank you for your quick response.

I would appreciate having <TEN_TEN> being available as a ADIF tag I could use in Imports and Exports. The <FISTS> tag is another I might use, but there is a limited number of UDF slots available (understandably).

I have been using the County Pop-up heavily. That is very useful to me. I really appreciate that you have all the Counties already in the system. Otherwise I am sure I would mis-spell several making it hard to get credit.

What I was trying to figure out is if something similar (to Counties) might be available for ARRL Sections. I have often used the wrong abbreviation for those in my paper logs, sometimes causing mistakes when I count multipliers in a contest like the ARRL Sweepstakes. I would like to use <ARRL_SECT> as a recognized ADIF tag as well. The latest ADIF specification even lists a table that enumerates all of the valid sections here http://www.adif.org/308/ADIF_308.htm#AR ... numeration.

For now I am using the 4th UDF for <CONTEST_ID>. Again, there is an enumeration table defined. Might this also need to be added as an available ADIF code? That table is recommended values, not a list of all valid values. I do not see a few listed like 1010_WINTER_SSB or 1010_SUMMER_CW (just two examples).

None of this is urgent and I'm just one user who has expressed an interest in these tags. I don't know how many others would use these. Wether or not you add them is up to you.

Thank you for your work in creating and maintaining this very useful logging software.
Ken Schumacher -- 73 de N9KJU
Wheaton, IL 60187 USA -- IL,DuPage County
Grid Sq: EN51wv CQZ: 4 ITU: 8
10-10# 67438 -- FISTS #3329
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Some ARRL contests and State QSO Parties use the section as control number. When you use the contest module for logging, then you have a help list with all abbreviations provided and a real time check while entering the number.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM