Bluetooth LE CAT interface

RUMlog for the iPad and iPhone
GI1XPV

Re: Bluetooth LE CAT interface

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Working on it. I just need to create a cable to connect Mac to Radio. This should not take too long. I'll let you know when it is working and you are welcome to connect.
Kemuel
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
I have created a cable to my FT817 and this shows green in TCP2Serial. However, I cannot seem to get the TCP/IP connection to the iPad working. What settings do I use?
Kemuel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The iPad and the Mac have to be in the same LAN. Enter the address of the Mac on the iPad unter WLAN address. Enter a port matching your settings in the TCP2SER app. Pushing Connect WLAN should establish the connection.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Okay, that's not fair. I have been bashing this for 30 mins. Now I just clicked Connect again and it did! Anyhow, all connected now. What details would you like?
Kemuel
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
I forgot to add. You are welcome to connect to my TX. Perhaps you already have, if the extern IP address is yours?
Kemuel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

No, I can't connect yet. You have to open the affected port in your router and you must forward that port to your Mac first.
I have to leave for night shift in the next minutes. When you have established the connection you should be able to see the traffic.
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
I will set this up now. I am too many years away from networks and have forgotten the finer details. Meanwhile, thanks for your help and I trust that you are managing to keep safe in these difficult times.
Kemuel
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
i have found the problem. It is a seemingly undocumented 'feature' of the FT817ND (maybe FT817 and FT818?? too). I have the Yaesu CW narrow filter (YF-122CN) fitted. If it is OFF, P1 = 02 for CW, P1 = 03 for CWR and P1=0A for DIGI. This is what is documented in the CAT chapter of the manual. HOWEVER, if the CW narrow filter is ON, then P1=82 for CW, P1=83 for CWR and P1=8A for DIGI. The reason I saw this only on 40m is because this was the only band where I had the narrow filter enabled.
Unfortunately I cannot give you any info regarding the other optional filters, 122S and 122C as I don't possess them. Perhaps they cause similar changes? I now have port forwarding set up (too many extenders and switches between router and shack), if you want to connect and explore.
So, not an issue with the software and not really an issue with the radio, just a hidden feature. Perhaps it can be included in the next upgrade.
Many thanks again for your time and patience. This is the best software support I have ever received.
Regards

Kemuel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Tnx for the hint Kemuel, good observation. How do you have found it out? With my Spy app?

See attached what I have used.
Attachments
From the manual
From the manual
GI1XPV

Unread post by GI1XPV »

Hi Tom
Yes, your spy app was key. Looking at the hex data, it was obvious that the issue was what was being sent by the radio. The DATA 5 byte (Parameter 1 for Op Mode) was consistently 8X rather than 0X for CW modes for 40m (thought it was my eyesight at first!). Since only 40m was affected, it was then a matter of finding out what was different in the radio settings. The manual provided no help as it only had the table you have shown and the limited P1 values for the various modes. A search online found someone else who had CAT issues with the CW filter installed and enabled. I turned off the filter in 40m and your spy app now reported 0X. I checked other bands, enabling and disabling the filter and found the same change in response.

It's fun when a problem like this can be solved, I enjoyed the challenge and being able to see the data was essential. I have searched online this morning for more details on the filters and CAT codes. OZ9AEC (https://oz9aec.net/radios/ft-817/ft-817-cat) has also identified these different CW/DIGI codes using the same guesswork process I did, but has no information on SSB filters. KA7OEI has identified data that can be used to identify if the CW narrow filters have been enabled (http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_meow.html).

Again, thank-you for your time spent helping me to identify this problem.
Regards
Kemuel - GI1XPV