Mavericks and RUMlog

QSO logging software for the Mac
W0DJC

Mavericks and RUMlog

Unread post by W0DJC »

I upgraded to Mavericks, and am having a problem with Telnet DX Cluster. It appears that whenever my computer screen goes to sleep, I no longer receive spots in real time.

I never turn off my computer, and always have RUMlog open. In the past, (prior to installing Mavericks) when I would "wake-up" my screen, current spots would be displayed in the DX Spots window, as I would always be connected to the Telnet cluster. After installing Mavericks, this is no longer the case. Now when I "wake up" my screen, I have observed that I am no longer connected to the cluster, and if I have I been away from my computer for a few hours (such as overnight) the DX Spots window is empty. As I have RUMlog configured for auto connect, once the screen is awake, my computer re-connects to the cluster, and I receive all of the spots that have been sent since the disconnect occurred. This was thousands of spots last weekend due to the CQWW activity.

In system preferences, under Energy Management, I have Computer Sleep set to never, and do not have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked. I do have "Wake for network access" checked.

I know that within Mavericks software changes were made to conserve power for laptop use. But I am using an iMac, not a laptop.

I can't find anything else to reconfigure in System Settings to try to keep my computer "awake" while the screen sleeps so that RUMlog can continue to run while I am away from the computer. Time Machine backups are generated overnight, and I receive email as well, so it seems that some programs do run while the screen is sleeping since the installation of Mavericks. Typically, the only programs that are open during an overnight period are Mail and RUMlog.

Is there somewhere else in settings where I have to make an adjustment to keep RUMlog running? I am running RUMlog 5.2.3, which I believe is the latest version.

Also, at the time of writing this note, there are no software updates available from Apple, so I should be up to date on all software/operating systems.

Thanks for any input.

73 de Don
W0DJC
W0DJC

Re: Mavericks and RUMlog

Unread post by W0DJC »

I think that I found the answer to my question.

One of the new features in Mavericks is "App Nap". This feature is meant to help save on battery life by putting to sleep apps that are hidden from view. To turn off this feature on an app by app basis do the following:

1. Go to Finder.

2. Go to Applications.

3. Right click on the app. (In this case, Rumlog)

4. Click the Get Info option.

5. Click the check box next to "Prevent App Nap."

In a half hour test since I did this to Rumlog, I stayed connected to the Cluster. Hopefully, problem solved!

Don
W0DJC
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Thanks for the hint. Just heard from another problem: The CAT interface (microHAM digiKeyerII) became unreliable. A simple frequency change needed up to 10 seconds to take effect. Switching off the Power Nap option was helpful as well.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

Thanks for the tip!

I noticed that when I was running RUMped a couple of weeks ago in an RTTY contest. When I came back to RUMped it would scroll for a long time through the received buffer.
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
DL2RUM
Administrator

100% CPU Load? with K3 Control Window open?

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Has anybody noted a high CPU load (up to 100%) when the K3 Control Window is open? Please check! It seems some USB-Serial converter are not working properly under mavericks.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

Tom,

Yes, I believe I have. I noticed a few days ago that RUMlog was fairly unresponsive unless I closed the control window.

I often close the window unless I need it because it really works the Serial adaptor.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the "S" meter optional. I don't use it on the display and believe it may be the reason the activity is so high.
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
W0DJC

Unread post by W0DJC »

Hi Tom,

I can confirm that I too am seeing a very high CPU load when the K3 control window is open.

Don
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

I just checked Activity Monitor and on my system, at this time, I have about 2% or less of CPU usage with RUMlog running but when I open the control window it goes up to about 10%.
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
W0DJC

Unread post by W0DJC »

Hi Tom,

I did a restart and opened RUMlog. The activity monitor showed very low CPU usage. I then opened K3 control window, and the CPU usage for User gradually increases over time with the control window open. After about 20 minutes, Activity Monitor shows that User is using a little over 50% and that RUMlog is using 97% of the active CPU usage. So, it seems to be a time dependent issue that increases over time.

I am using Prolific chipsets in my USB to Serial convertors.

Don
LA0FA

Unread post by LA0FA »

I can confirm the same, The Power Nap option is key to make the CAT work stable in Maverick ! (digiKeyerII and FTdx5000).
73 Matthias

DL2RUM wrote:Thanks for the hint. Just heard from another problem: The CAT interface (microHAM digiKeyerII) became unreliable. A simple frequency change needed up to 10 seconds to take effect. Switching off the Power Nap option was helpful as well.