New to Mac Ham

QSO logging software for the Mac
N3PPH

New to Mac Ham

Unread post by N3PPH »

I am a fairly new Mac user and have been using Parallels with DXLabs but I am trying to convert over to 100% Mac software. Rumlog works well but I am having trouble with digital logging. If I try to use check log either manually or automatically the program freezes for a long time, many minutes. My log has over 8000 QSO's and I am figuring this to be the problem. Is there a macro I can use that will drop the fldigi QSO directly into Rumlog?
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: New to Mac Ham

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I don't know your work flow and I don't know where you have the 8000 QSOs logged. A good practice could be to import all QSOs first into RUMlog, before you activate the sync option.
Use the normal ADIF import routine: Menu-->Logbook-->Import ADIF

I haven't tested fldigi with a large log file.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
N3PPH

Unread post by N3PPH »

I do have the log imported into Rumlog, both logs are the same. If I could invoke a macro in fldigi to look up my Rumlog log or just log directly into Rumlog from fldigi that would work. Even if I have logged nothing if I invoke the check Rumlog is frozen for a long time.
N3PPH

Unread post by N3PPH »

I have another thought on this. Using fldigi in Windows and Linux previously I know that it will export log info to an external application. Is there a provision in Rumlog to accept external data? If so is there a place I can find it documented and I will try to come up with an interface which I would be happy to share.

Bob N3PPH
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

What do you mean with "external data"? RUMlog can poll for actual used mode and frequency and it can look frequently for new logged QSOs in the fldigi log file.
N3PPH

Unread post by N3PPH »

With my log I see in excess of 10 minutes to scan the log using the check log function. Using the xmlrpc interface provided with fldigi the scanning would not be required. Fldigi specs are at http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/xm ... ntrol.html It would be a matter of translating fields if Rumlog can be addressed that way. I do not know if this is feasible for you to provide, the reason for my question.

Bob N3PPH
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

As far as I know, fldigi can not push out any information. You have to poll for all data.
You can set and read some logging fields in RUMlog using Applescript. Currently I'm working on more support for Applescript.

I do not know if this is feasible for you to provide, the reason for my question.
Not really. :oops:
You want to save a QSO made with fldigi?
N3PPH

Unread post by N3PPH »

I appreciate your time answering my questions. I will deal with it and in the future when you get time to enhance applescript support (and I get some time to learn it) I will dive into this again.

Bob N3PPH
K3DCW

Unread post by K3DCW »

Bob/N3PPH,

Here's the process I use to handle this.

Import the log initially into RUMlog. Once successfully saved there, I erase the Fldigi log completely. I then export my log from RUMlog and import (Merge) it into a new logbook in Fldigi. I then save that logbook file in Fldigi, and then CLOSE FLDIGI. Make sure that you have RUMlog pointed at the correct log file; don't just accept the default path/filename. Once that is done, it may take a few minutes to scan the log, but once done it should go much faster for future checks. Also, scanning is faster if you DON"T have the logbook open in Fldigi. On my I5 mac mini, it scans once after starting RUMlog and takes about 30 seconds, and then it is very responsive with very little noticeable delay.

As an alternative, you can turn off auto import and just have it do a manual import at the end of each session.

Dave
K3DCW
Dave
K3DCW

"Hamming it up on macOS"
N3PPH

Unread post by N3PPH »

Thanks Dave I will give that method a try. The manual import is what I have been doing.

Bob N3PPH