New user, questions for ver 5.1

QSO logging software for the Mac
KF7P

New user, questions for ver 5.1

Unread post by KF7P »

Hi guys! I downloaded 5.1 over the weekend and am very impressed so far. I have been using another Mac logger for years and thought I'd try RumLog to see if it can do a few things better that the other one can't do. So far I am very impressed and would like to utilize RumLog more in the future. Station currently has: 24"imac Snow Leopard w/add'l monitor, IC-7600, Alpha89, microham II interface, tennadyne T6, wires for low bands, and a taller tower going up in the spring. I hope. I've been through the PDF manual and am still learning here, so be kind. :-)

So here are some things I have questions on:
First, look at my main logging window. According to the manual there is supposed to be an "instant search control" at the bottom of the window for searching my log? Did the dog eat it, or...?
Screen shot 2013-01-01 at 9.16.46 pm.png
Second, my Telnet Cluster seems to continually disconnect, sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes longer. It is the same web cluster I have been using on the previous logger, and I didn't have any problems there. Any ideas?
Screen shot 2013-01-01 at 9.25.38 pm.png
Third: The Station name, QTH, IOTA, etc. is rarely filled in, even when the drawer contains data from hamQTH.com displayed. Does this info appear more consistently if I subscribed to the QRZ.com instead? What do you QRZ.com subscribers think?
Screen shot 2013-01-01 at 9.40.16 pm.png
Fourth: What is the purpose of the multimedia window?

I really like RumLog so far....being able to change the colors and customization with the windows is a big plus. Love the DXCC List window, Solar-terrestrial Data window, and the Band Map is great! One-click LOTW updating from within the program, how cool is that!?!

That's it for now, will probably have some more questions in a few days.

Chris
KF7P
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: New user, questions for ver 5.1

Unread post by DL2RUM »

According to the manual there is supposed to be an "instant search control" at the bottom of the window for searching my log? Did the dog eat it, or...?
These controls are optional, switch it on here: Menu-->Log-->Show Search Options
Second, my Telnet Cluster seems to continually disconnect, sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes longer.
I've just logged in into this cluster, I will see what happens.
Third: The Station name, QTH, IOTA, etc. is rarely filled in, even when the drawer contains data from hamQTH.com displayed. Does this info appear more consistently if I subscribed to the QRZ.com instead?
I prefer http://www.HamQTH.com. It is free of charge and I find these information more useful. There are dedicated entries for the nick and the QTH. qrz.com shows the op postal address, which may not match the station. (like in my case)
You can take over the info from qrz.com or HamQTH.com once via Menu-->QSO-->Add Data to Log
Or you can toggle on the option: Menu-->QSO-->Add Data to Log automatically
What is the purpose of the multimedia window?
You can save files in the log database. I.e. a audio files from a QSO or a scanned QSO card. These files are assigned to a callsign, not to a specific QSO. Just drag and drop a file into the Station Info Box, when the desired callsign is shown. Audio, graphic, video and pdf files are supported.
Callsign Info Box.png
The word "Data" indicates available files.
Callsign Info Box.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Callsign Info Box.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
One-click LOTW updating from within the program, how cool is that!?!
;) ;) ;) This is very cool! ;) ;) ;)
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
KF7P

Unread post by KF7P »

Hi Tom,

Thanks on your help...everything I questioned is now working correctly. I have been logged into the NC7J cluster for over two hours and it is still spitting out spots. Thanks! Chris
KF7P

Unread post by KF7P »

Having a lot of fun with this software. Here is another question: When RumLog is set up to "show info in browser" (see screen shot), the QRZ.com page opens in a new Safari window. Or a new tab, depending on your Safari prefs. The problem is, after doing a dozen call lookups, there are a dozen new browser windows (or a dozen new tabs in your browser window), which really clutter up your desktop. Is there a way to make all lookups open in the same window over and over again?

Chris
Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 7.32.25 pm.png