RUMLogNG2Go on iPad interfaced with KX3 using an RS232-to-Bluetooth converter

RUMlog for the iPad and iPhone
SteveW

RUMLogNG2Go on iPad interfaced with KX3 using an RS232-to-Bluetooth converter

Post by SteveW »

I have successfully interfaced RUMLogNG2Go on an iPad with an Elecraft KX3 using an RS232-to-Bluetooth converter purchased online.

I've been wanting to interface RUMLogNG2Go on my iPad with a KX3 using a Bluetooth LE device. This method is supported by RUMLogNG2Go, but until recently the only Bluetooth LE devices available were component-level devices that can be used in a larger build project. Recently I noticed that there are now on the market relatively inexpensive Bluetooth LE devices that can be configured and used as-is by end-users. Two that I found are:

Shenzhen Daxia Longgue's "DX-CP26 RS232 to Bluetooth Serial Adapter". I found this on amazon.com listed for $22.99.

U.S. Converters LLC's "Serial Bluetooth 5 Smart Adapter - RS232 Low Energy BLE Long Range". This is available at the manufacturer's website for $69.00 (https://www.usconverters.com/rs232-seri ... rt-adapter).

I ordered the CP26 from Amazon because of the lower price, and also because of Amazon's 30-day return policy, anticipating that I might need some time to find out if this experiment would work. It required several rounds of communication with the manufacturer to get English language documentation and clarification of some things in the manual. This was somewhat cumbersome, as it was done using Amazon's facility for communicating with its vendors, and in this case the vendor is on the other side of the planet, so answers could take a day or two, especially on weekends. Eventually, I was able to get the iPad to detect the Bluetooth device, but RUMLogNG2Go was not finding it. As it turned out, with help from Tom DL2RUM I was able to get it working just a few days before the 30-day deadline!

Shenzhen's English language website at http://en.szdx-smart.com/EN/lyzhq/Bluet ... 32/97.html contains docunentation for the device. It seems to be referred to as model CP-26 on Amazon and as DX-CP26 on Shenzhen's website and documentation. A configuration app called "DX-SMART" for iOS and iPadOS is available on the Apple App Store and is required to configure the device's Bluetooth settings. The device's serial baud rate is set with a push-button on the device itself.

I was able to get the iPad to connect to the CP26, but RUMLogNG2Go did not detect it until Tom told me to change the UUID to 6E400001-B5A3-F393-E0A9-E50E24DCCA9E. I assume this is a value used by one of the Bluetooth LE devices that are already known to work with RUMLogNG2Go. Once I updated the UUID and set the device's baud rate to match that of the KX3, the software detected my KX3 and immediately imported the frequency and mode information into my log entry. It tracks this information as it changes when I tune around the band or change the band or mode.

I will be doing more testing in the coming weeks, but this looks very promising!

Steve Westfall, N5EP