Beam heading determination in DX Spots window?

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
SteveW

Beam heading determination in DX Spots window?

Unread post by SteveW »

I am a new RUMlogNG user, and I want to know how the "heading" in the DX Spots window is determined.

I noticed that a spot for a KP4 (Puerto Rico) station shows the Heading as 270 degrees, which is incorrect since I am located in Chicago. I did set my grid square correctly in the Preferences General tab, so I assume RUMlogNG is not using my grid square to determine my location and then calculate the correct heading to KP4. Is there another setting that I have overlooked?

I'm also wondering if the heading is not being calculated, but is being provided by the DX cluster that I'm using. If that is the case, then I assume that I need to issue a command to the DX Cluster to give it my location. Is that the problem?

Thank you.

Steve, N5EP
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Beam heading determination in DX Spots window?

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Where do you see the heading indicated? When I enter my grid square as EN61CW in the Preferences (which should be Chicago) RUMlog indicates 135º.

KP4.png
KP4_2.png
The dx-cluster may show distance and heading in the Note field, it's pending on the software. In the dx terminal you could try show/heading KP4 Run also the commands help set/location and help set/qra. All these commands are available in the DXSpider software: http://www.dxcluster.org/main/usermanual_en.html#toc12
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
SteveW

Re: Beam heading determination in DX Spots window?

Unread post by SteveW »

Hi Tom. I was looking at the "Hdg." column in the "DX Spots" window when I saw the incorrect value for Puerto Rico. Also, I was connected to an AR Cluster instead of a DX Spider cluster. The headings for all the other spots seemed to be appropriate. It was just that single value for Puerto Rico that puzzled me.

Steve, N5EP