Pile Up - Display User Defined Fields

RUMlog for the iPad and iPhone
K6TOR

Pile Up - Display User Defined Fields

Unread post by K6TOR »

The Pile Up option in Rumlog2Go on the iPhone works well in the field for SOTA, POTA and WWFF. I use a Bluetooth keyboard with it.
However, Pile Up has no field to enter a Park to Park or Summit to Summit reference or other information. I know these fields can be created in Self Defined fields on the main logging page.

Proposal: It would be great to have at least two, maybe all four, of the Self Defined fields on the iPhone Pile Up display screen.

Rick
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Pile Up - Display User Defined Fields

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The Pile Up mode was created for a fast log entry: Callsign - Enter - finished - Callsign - Enter - finished - Callsign - Enter - finished
I've just added fields for sent and rcvd reports. Last week somebody asked for fields for name and QTH, now you ask for other fields.
This is not the idea behind it. When you want to enter more or other data, just go one screen back.

I'm not familiar with POTA, somewhere in the world it seems to be more interesting. Maybe I could add/change few things for a better special activity support. But so far nobody has been able to explain all aspects or present a concept.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K6TOR

Unread post by K6TOR »

Thank you very much for responding so quickly to my suggestion.
Here is a more detailed explanation and proposal:

Background operating portable
Hiking or backpacking requires operators to reduce weight. The iPhone with keyboard is ideal for this. Laptops and iPads overheat in sun.
Using any device outdoors in the sun is a challenge. The Font must be large. The Display should have only a few fields.
Portable operators are often working a pile up. The Pile Up display is the only viable way to minimize fields and work portable.

Background of outdoor programs
SOTA, POTA and WWFF are very popular outdoor radio programs. It is almost the only way I operate due to high noise at home.
POTA= Parks on the Air It is similar to WWFF. They are complementary programs and I do both. Signal reports and location are sent.
Operators are working a pile up because they have been spotted on websites or by RBN and are chased by hunters.

SOTA and POTA often have QSOs between two summits or two parks. This requires the operators to send and copy the summit reference number or park reference number of the other park. These logs are then sent to these programs for credit for the activator and the hunters.
WWFF requests that the park reference be sent.

Proposal
For these reasons, additional fields are needed in the Pile Up display.
Two User Defined fields in Pile Up would be sufficient. (for me, I would "user define" them as Sig_Info and SOTA_Ref for when an operator is in both a park and a summit. These are the fields used to record the other operator's location.)

(I would use the other two user defined fields to save my Grid Square and Park or summit for export later with the file. These fields don't need to be on the Pile Up display. There might be reasons for someone to have all four fields displayed on Pile Up but at least two fields would be great.)

(Another idea: It would be nice to display the mode in Pile Up in case you are in the same band but changed from CW to SSB. This would remind you to change mode in the main logging section before continuing to operate.)

On behalf of portable operators, thank you for your kind consideration of this request.
Rick
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

IMG_4443.PNG
Is this more useful?
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K6TOR

Unread post by K6TOR »

That is fantastic!!!

Thank you so much for this great update. Logging in the field with an iPhone and keyboard will be so much easier.
I have not tested everything out yet but I see that all 4 of my user-defined fields are now displayed in Pile Up mode. I also see that PileUp mode also displays the frequency now. That is a big help too. It will remind operators to change the mode on the regular log screen if the operator stays in the same band but changes mode.

That is great!!

EXPORT NOT WORKING?
I notice that the Export command at the top left of the LogBook is grayed out and not available. Is there some other way to select the Export command?

Rick
K6TOR

Unread post by K6TOR »

Your update is super for portable operators.

I will recommend that SOTA, POTA and WWFF operators try using it. I have not had it in the field yet but it looks great. Thank you so much for this.

Note: I did find your data exchange explanation and it works fine for export.