Logging via AppleScript and conflicts with CAT

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
N3MBH

Logging via AppleScript and conflicts with CAT

Unread post by N3MBH »

Greetings All,
A brief background. I have been sort of a logging software nomad moving around. I was logging on Linux for a while using a virtual box for ham stuff. I have been using RumLog (not NG) for a few months and just recently switched to RUMLogNG. Tom this is a great program and it looks to be on par with MacLoggerDX.

I do mostly digital modes and use JT-Bridge with WSJT-X. I have noticed that there is an issue with logging since I switched to NG. I thought this was a problem with JT-Bridge at first. I would get some fields but the Frequency would set back to the dial frequency and the mode would stay as SSB and the RSTs would log as the standard 59 for voice modes. I dug into app contents of the latest version of JT-Bridge and looked at the AppleScript for RUMLogNG.

I made my own AppleScript based off the script for FLDigi using hard coded test variables. While it works better it doesn't work 100% of the time which led me to discover what the issue is. I am using an FT-450D via serial connected to RUMLogNG, the poll rate is set to 1 sec for faster response and there is no problem within RUMLogNG itself. The problems is as follows: Using my own test AppleScript which tells RUMLogNG the fields to log which is passes successfully. Once in a while (about 40-50% of the time at my poll rate) the CAT will repoll the transceiver and change the fields I have already passed via AppleScript before the script completes and issues the logQSO command. My script has no delay line in it where the script with JT-Bridge has a 1 second delay before the logQSO command. So needless to say JT-Bridge won't log the right fields 100% of the time with my faster 1 second poll rate.

So my though is this, Is there a way to allow AppleScript to temporarily suspend or pause CAT polling while the logging via Applescript is taking place? So sudo code wise would be something like this:
- Tell RUMLogNG
- Pause CAT polling
- Set Log Fields
- logQSO
- Resume CAT Polling
- End Tell

Sure I could set my poll rate slower, but the problem won't go away 100%. Let me know what your thoughts are. I would like to polish the script and pass it on to SM0THU to include in the next version of JT-Bridge.

Aaron - N3MBH
N3MBH

Re: Logging via AppleScript and conflicts with CAT

Unread post by N3MBH »

Well the default script for JT-Bridge seems to work better with a 5 second poll rate. 1 second poll rate will not work. I have to try finding a value in the middle so it will update RumLogNG more frequently as I tune.

On a side note. Is there anything I can do to make RumLogNG set the Frequency and Mode on my Yaesu FT-450D? I know this program is geared more towards the Elecraft line of radios. I would be nice to be able to click on a frequency in the Band Map and have the radio tune there. Works great otherwise. Thanks for such a great Mac program.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Logging via AppleScript and conflicts with CAT

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I would be nice to be able to click on a frequency in the Band Map and have the radio tune there.
This should work for the FT-450!
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM