Sorting columns of database.

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
EA5Q

Sorting columns of database.

Unread post by EA5Q »

Dear all

One easy question. I am getting used to the very helpful windows one can open from the Window menu.
As with other programs one can sort the columns by clicking on their header. But, for example in the search entities window, by default, the call signs are sorted by date. But once you have clicked on the header of one column it sorts by the header, but you cannot revert to the default status (sorted by date) as this column does show up.

The same happens in the DX Spots window. Once you have selected a column to be sorted you cannot revert the default sorting criteria.

Can the default sorting criteria of any window be restored? How?

Suggestion:

In the Search entities window, does it make sense that if you click on Show QSOs you could filter or highlight the proper QSO if you click on a given country of the country list?
Otherwise it is difficult to tell which country has been counted for the list. (Unless you use the powerful main search window).

73 de EA5FY
Stefan
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Sorting columns of database.

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Stefan,

I don't understand your problem. There are very few tables only, where a default sort criteria is set. Once you resort a table, your selection will be saved and used.
When you want to sort the QSOs by Date, just press the Date header!

BTW, there is not just one sort criteria, it is more powerful. When you first sort a table by Band, the QSOs are sorted by bands. After that, when you sort by Mode, the QSOs will be sorted by mode first. QSOs with the same mode will be sorted now by Band! You can continue with all available columns.
In the Search entities window, does it make sense that if you click on Show QSOs you could filter or highlight the proper QSO if you click on a given country of the country list?
This could be useful in some situations.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
EA5Q

Unread post by EA5Q »

Dear Tom

Sorry, I will try to explain it better.

When I go to Menu / Window / Search Entities and leave everything by default and click on the SEARCH button I got a table of countries on the right side of the window and when I push the button show QSOs, the table at the bottom of the table gets filled.

Both tables are sorted by date, but date does not show up in the table of the countries on the left. If I click on the header of Prefix of the countries table, it sorts by prefix, but I cannot sort it again by date. As the QSOs table is sorted by date, it is difficult so cross check the QSO with the country.

In the Menu / Window / DX Spots happens something similar. The table fills up day date/time of "arrival" of the spot. But if the table is sorted by another column (clicking on the header), then this table is always sorted by the once clicked header. I have not found out how to resort it again by date / time.

Maybe just a keystroke combination is enough for resetting the selected sorting criteria, but I have not found out yet. It always remembers the lats siring criteria. ':?

I hope I have been able to explain my "problem" although it is clear, that it is more powerful to search and sort in the main window (and there are all header available).

73 de EA5FY
Stefan
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Both tables are sorted by date, but date does not show up in the table of the countries on the left. If I click on the header of Prefix of the countries table, it sorts by prefix, but I cannot sort it again by date. As the QSOs table is sorted by date, it is difficult so cross check the QSO with the country.
That's right. The countries can not be sorted by date. Exactly spoken, they were never sorted by date! When you search in a database, the database returns the first found entry. This may be in chronological order, but may be not. This is not defined in this case. When you enter your QSOs in another order, this result may looks different.
BTW, I implemented already your idea:
Search.tiff
Search.tiff (174.05 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
Search.tiff
Search.tiff (174.05 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
In the Menu / Window / DX Spots happens something similar. The table fills up day date/time of "arrival" of the spot. But if the table is sorted by another column (clicking on the header), then this table is always sorted by the once clicked header. I have not found out how to resort it again by date / time.
Click the "For" header:
dx.png
EA5Q

Unread post by EA5Q »

Vielen Dank Tom.
Das ging wirklich schnell ;).

Tom, thank you very much. Impressive response.

Stefan
EA5Q

Unread post by EA5Q »

Hi Tom

I have just downloaded v2.3.1 built 78 but I am unable to highlight any country as you show in your window capture.
Sorry, I have tried to click, double click, right click, but no country in the entities table nor in the QSO table gets highlighted.
How am I supposed to do it?

Do I need to change any setting? :?

Stefan
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

It will be available in the next version.