RUMlog FAQ

QSO logging software for the Mac
DL2RUM
Administrator

RUMlog FAQ

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Is it possible to print QSOs by date (partial QSOs or entire log)?
A direct printing routine is not planed, but you can use the Search Window to select QSOs. Further you can save the selection (or the whole log) as text file. Using every text editor you can make your own print out. It looks something like this:

Code: Select all

Written by RUMlog from 29-05-2008
All QSOs from 01-01-1978 until 31-12-2030
Mode: All
Band: 160m
Continent: All
213 entries found

26-08-1987 2248 OL8CVU         160m CW        599         
27-08-1987 0227 UT5UJO         160m CW        599         
27-08-1987 0238 UT5AB          160m CW        599         
26-11-1988 0343 UR2RGN         160m CW        599   

I need to add a comment on the QSL printed labels
You can add a comment, pending on the band. In the preferences go to the tab "Rig". You can leave all the field for the bands empty and use only the most upper field "Default". This text will be printed as last row on the label.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the logger to check for Ducie Island VP6/D, I tried entering VP6/D -D etc etc and I only get pictairn island or unknown DXCC.
RUMlog can only show you info about the DXCC, when the DXCC is recognized. This works normally with all calls, but not with some special prefixes like VP6/D or KH8/SI. But you can edit the DXCC database to meet your requirements. Use the EditDXCC application, which is located in the RUMlog folder to add a call VP6/D:
EditDXCC.tiff
EditDXCC.tiff (53.1 KiB) Viewed 16859 times
EditDXCC.tiff
EditDXCC.tiff (53.1 KiB) Viewed 16859 times
Then it should work fine as expected:
Main.tiff
Main.tiff (19.38 KiB) Viewed 16859 times
Main.tiff
Main.tiff (19.38 KiB) Viewed 16859 times

I would want to export my qso in adif format.
- use the menu and go to Log --> Search a new window opens
- in upper left hand corner select "Call" from the "Search for" popup menu
- press the "Run Query" button All logged QSOs are listed below now
- on the right hand side select "ADIF File" from the "Save to" popup menu
- press the "Save" button You are requested to enter a file name to save

Now there is a more direct way to export QSOs from the main logging window. Use Menu-->Log-->Export ADIF This selection will export all current listed QSOs.
That's is!

What does the "W" mean in the QSL and LW fields?
The Letters in the QSL and LW mean the status of the paper QSL (QSL) or the qsl via Logbook of the World (LW)

W (Worked) is the default, no QSL send or received yet. A qsl will be printed.
S (Send) QSL already send, but not received yet.
R (Received) QSL received, but no card send yet. A QSL will be printed.
X (Exchaned) QSL send and received
- (No card) No card send nor received, card will not be printed.
N (Not in log) Card came back, not in log.
B (Back) Your send card came back for any reason (not member, silent key...).

For LotW only W, S, X and - is allowed.

When entering contacts on 75 or 80m I noticed that it displays "??" in the band column. Why is that? What am I missing?
You have to make sure you have set the correct band edges in the Frequencies/Mode tab in the preferences. Here you can define the band borders. As default RUMlog uses my own settings, the european band plan. So when you log a contact on your 75m band at 3900Kc RUMlog will detect it as out of band and sets the band to "??". Further the frequency field is displayed in red colors. Enter the correct frequencies in the table and restart RUMlog to use the new values.
Table.tiff
You can find this table in the Preference window below the Frequencies/Mode tab
Table.tiff (29.11 KiB) Viewed 16899 times
Table.tiff (29.11 KiB) Viewed 16899 times

I have a favorite Telnet site I usually go to, how do I add it to your list?
o add a Telnet cluster, go to the preferences window. Menu-->RUMlog-->Preferences and select the DX-Cluster tab. Press the 'Add' button below the Telnet cluster table. Enter the data into the table and press the Save button. After opening the Telnet cluster terminal window, you can select your preferred cluster from the popup menu, while disconnected.
Telnet.tiff
Telnet.tiff (19.54 KiB) Viewed 16680 times
Telnet.tiff
Telnet.tiff (19.54 KiB) Viewed 16680 times

How do I change VK9DWX from listed as Australia to Willis?
In the distribution you can find an application 'EditDXCC'. This program is used for all kinds of editing the DXCC list.
To change the DXCC from VK9DWX go to the 'Calls' tab and press the 'Add Row' button. Enter the required data as shown in the example below. When you are not sure which prefix for a DXCC you have to use, have a look into the DXCC table. Use only the main prefix, here VK9Z! Press the "Save" button to make all changes active and restart RUMlog.
Normally you have to correct the dxcc database before you log a contact. When you have logged it already, select the entry in the log list and go to Menu-->QSO-->Edit. Make no changes, just press 'Save'. At this point the dxcc will be recalculated.
EditDXCC2.tiff
EditDXCC2.tiff (52.61 KiB) Viewed 16680 times
EditDXCC2.tiff
EditDXCC2.tiff (52.61 KiB) Viewed 16680 times

I assume when I click on a station in the DX spotting window, it should change the radio to the frequency show in the spot, but it does not change the radio frequency.
When double clicking in a dx spot (dx window only, not in the terminal window) then the logging mask will be filled.
When you want to tune the TRX to this frequency and mode you have to double click on the frequency in the dx window.

This is to prevent an inadvertent miss tunung of the trx to a wrong frequency, due to differences in the spotted and in the real frequency.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K9TF

Re: RUMlog FAQ

Unread post by K9TF »

How do I update EDITDXCC soft ware? I have a older version. What happens to the additions and corrections that I have made when I do update?
Jim K9TF
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The EditDXCC.app has no effect to your logs. The database file is very important! Please keep your own modified 'DXCC.rsd' file! Always I upload the full package of files. Just copy your 'old' 'DXCC.rsd' into the new RUMlog folder. That's should be fine. Pending where you have located your logfile, you should copy it as well.
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

What are all the DXCC.rsdX, rsdXX ....... ? Do I need to do any thing with these? Can I delete them? DId I turn something on that I should not have?
Jim K9TF
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

You can delete these files. When you save a modified database, the old one will be renamed to *x or *xx...
It is just a back up.
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

I have been experiencing drop-drop out caused by my provider. Some times these drop out freeze up RUMLog spots and telnet connection. When my provider comes back on line what do I need to set to help prevent freeze up?

Can I set the time of the auto reconnect for a shorter time?
Jim K9TF
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

There is no automatic reconnect function implemented. An initial connect happens only after opening of the telnet window. Otherwise only an automatic login is provided.
Unfortunately are there some kinds of disconnects, which are not noted by the OS. When there is no more response from the cluster, push the "Disconnect" button to force the disconnect. After that, when your internet connection is reestablished, push the "Connect" button.
ww2dx

Re: RUMlog FAQ - Partial Log Export

Unread post by ww2dx »

Hi Tom,

I am trying to export a portion of my log to ADIF. I am trying to select the first Q then hold the "Shift" key down and select the last Q and I get a highlighted log of the Q's I want to export. Problem is when I select Export ADIF from the "Log" menu I get the whole log and if I choose LOTW ADIF_Out I don't get what I highlighted.

Any ideas?

Thanks and 73!

Lee
WW2DX.com
MacHamRadio.com
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Lee,
this will not work in this way, but it is a good idea for the next future. You could try the Search window to select your desired QSOs.
I don't know your requirements, but for a simplified ADIF export another way could be:
- make sure you have sent out all (requested) paper QSLs, there is no QSO with status R or W
- select multiple QSOs in the log table
- use the Menu-->QSL-->Send paper QSL again
- use the Menu-->QSL-->print paper QSL
- use the "ADIF" button for a file export

This feature is normally used for the GlobalQSL service.

Nevertheless I will add more options.

Update:
Starting in 3.8.3 it works in the desired way. See http://dl2rum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97#p385
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

How can I get a copy of what is in the DXCC List Window?
Jim K9TF