Sluggish behavior/slow to respond

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
KF7P

Sluggish behavior/slow to respond

Unread post by KF7P »

Hello!

I've been using RUMped this weekend in the ARRL 10m contest. I've noticed some sluggish behavior that I don't remember experiencing before.

1) F-keys are slow to repond to play a voice recording. Sometimes it takes several presses to get my call sign to play, or the first press of a sequence of presses takes an additional 1-2 seconds before the recording starts plyaing. I notice this is much worse when the cluster spots are rolling in. Its as if the spots get processor priority or something? Also if I tune the VFO and watch the red marker on the bandmap move as I tune, the marker must stop moving before the F-key recording will play. Sometimes I'm fine tuning a station with one hand and pressing the F-key with the other, and that prevents the recording from playing.

2) Frozen application. Here's how it happens: Finish one QSO, hit return. Type in a call sign of the next station. Sometimes it will take up to 10 seconds before the call sign shows up in the entry field! This happens both on CW and SSB. The entire app just freezes up; I can't use a menu or click on anything and get a response during this time. During this "frozen" period I notice that the red marker on the bandmap is still stuck at the previous QSO frequency. Once it finally updates I can resume entering the next callsign.

3) Today, occasional presses of F4 to play my call sign would paste whatever I had copied to the clipboard previously into the exchange field (RX), or whatever text entry field that held focus at the moment. Strange. Paste is Edit menu>>control V as you know...when this happens I notice the Edit menu highlights the same way it does whenever you use the keyboard shortcuts. This same thing happens in RUMlog. F4 pastes the clipboard contents into whatever field is selected.

4) Scrolling the bandmap with mouse seems very slow; slower than it should be, and slower than the bandmaps on RUMlog.

To try to track this down, I've restarted RUMped numerous times, and also restarted my computer, and made sure that no other applications were running, only RUMped. It didn't seem to matter. 1 and 2 seem to be related to the radio and computer taking too long to stany in sync. None of these problems seem to occur in RUMlog.

Just for kicks I got N1MM running the same contest (via Parallels) and didn't experience any of these issues. Has anyone seen any of this before?
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Sluggish behavior/slow to respond

Unread post by DL2RUM »

When running Mavericks deactivate the App Nap Option and try again. It sounds not normal.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
KF7P

Unread post by KF7P »

I'm still running 10.6.8...

Chris
KF7P

Unread post by KF7P »

I was able to get rid of the F4 key problem by going into System Preferences and assigning a keyboard shortcut to the RUMlog/RUMped menu item(s) for F4. Now it overrides whatever/however it was assigned to paste clipboard contents.

Chris