Any thoughts for alternative rig control?

RUMlog for the iPad and iPhone
M0JEK

Any thoughts for alternative rig control?

Unread post by M0JEK »

Hi Tom,

Excellent looking app. I was just wondering if there would be a way in the future of using some other method for rig control instead of pigtail thing? Maybe using Rumlog on the Mac? Or maybe support for Bluetooth serial adapters or a USB via the lightning port?

I am a little apprehensive paying $99 dollar and shipping for the piglet thingy. I might get it later but I have blown my radio budget for the next several months!
(or if the protocol is published, I could maybe put something together using a RaspberryPi or Arduino ...)
73 de André, M0JEK
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Any thoughts for alternative rig control?

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Here you can find a program, that simulates a Pigtail on your Mac: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/pigtail ... 3057?mt=12
There is no special protocol, you just need a TCP socket and transfer all data to a serial port.
Apple don't allow to use the iDevice port for any control.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
M0JEK

Unread post by M0JEK »

Thank you Tom. I will give that a try.
I am new to the iOS even though I have had Apple computers since Apple was born. So I have lot to learn ;)
73 de André, M0JEK
M0JEK

Unread post by M0JEK »

Hi Tom,

After the tip and suggestion, as a proof of concept I then took a RaspberryPi, connected it via USB serial adaptor. Compiled and run the following little program, remserial, kindly made available here, http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

I used the following command on the RasPi;

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~/remserial-1.4 $ ./remserial  -p 7373 -s "4800 raw" /dev/ttyUSB0
Fired up RumLog2Go on my iPad, and connect TRX, and everything worked! Wonderful. :D

I am using a humble FT-450, but this works fine using the FTDX-1200 selection.
73 de André, M0JEK
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

:-)

A simple Arduino should doing the same job.
Nice to hear, that the FT-45o works. When you are fully satisfied with that, I could add it to the list of supported transceivers.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM