Can't get RUMTrol746Pro to work on WinXP

Control and memory management software for Icom transceivers

Can't get RUMTrol746Pro to work on WinXP

Unread post by Guest »

Hi there.

I downloaded and installed RUMTrol746Pro on my Windows PC. I was looking forward to finally have a decent program to back up my 746 Pro's memories and settings.

But I can't get the program to work... I think I've tried every possible combination of settings in the COM port setup screen; but I just can't read or write anything from/to the radio.

Several other programs (Swisslog, MixW, N1MM logger, Ham Radio Deluxe, etc...) are working fine; so I'm sure that the interface (a trimmed down version of the CT-17) works.

I'm using 19k2 and the default 66h address. In N1MM I'm using DTR always on and RTS always on.

I could use some help :?:

Thanks, 73,

Gert - K5WW
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Can't get RUMTrol746Pro to work on WinXP

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Gert,

When you have all tried out, then there not much what I can help you. Doe you have seen any helpful message in the program window? Maybe COM port open, or closed?
Otherwise make sure you have set the baudrate in the radio fixed to 19200 and not to Auto. For the first steps move the slider in the preferences full to the right.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K5WW

Unread post by K5WW »

Hi Tom, thanks for your fast reply.

I have the baud rate set to 19k2, just like in all other programs. Baudrate in the radio is 19k2 too. CI-V transceive is turned on, and CI-V 731 mode is off (if any of that is important). Com in your program is set to COM2. The delay slider is at maximum, all the way to the right. No other settings checked right now. COM2's Windows properties are 19k2/8/N/1.

When the program starts the 746Pro cycles between TX and RX twice. When I open the preferences window, the radio again cycles between TX and RX a couple of times. Yes, I can see "COM Port open", at the bottom of the main window. But no matter how often I try, no settings/memories are read.

Do you have any suggestions?
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

All your settings are locking good. When your TRX changes from RX to TX, you must have connected other lines to the trcvr? Is a CW or PTT line connected to the DTR or RTS? Do you have a separate power supply for the CAT interface?
K5WW

Unread post by K5WW »

Hi Tom.

Yes, I have a Rigblaster Nomic connected to COM1, and a Winkey to COM3. The only function COM2 performs is radio control. There is no seperate power supply for the radio interface cable, it gets its power from the COM2 port.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

The CAT interface could not key the transmitter? It's only for CAT?
I remember an old issue on my IC-7000 control program, where was something wrong with the serial driver. Under some hardware/driver constellations it was required to select a wrong COM port. I know that's crazy. Please try out the following:
- Disconnect the WinKeyer and the RigBlaster
- Let the CAT interface connected at COM 2
- In RUMtrol select COM1 and COM3 and try again.
K5WW

Unread post by K5WW »

Hello Tom.

Good news: it's working! ;)

I disconnected the Rigblaster and WinKey, and tried COM1 and 3. That didn't work.

But it works on COM2 now. I have the delay slider all the way to the right, and "Set RTS" and "Set DTR" checked. All memories, settings, etc. are read fine. As I test I edited one of the memories and writing seems to work OK too.

I hope this information is useful to you for a future version (if you plan to make revisions to the Windows version).

And, if you do make revisions, may I ask that you see if you can make the program's window a little bigger? Or at least resizeable? Also, in the setup Window you wrote Kontrast (the German spelling) instead of with a "C".

I am willing to do all the testing you need.

Thanks for a great program!

Gert
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Great Gert, but do you have an idea why it works now? Normally it must work with other COM ports used as well.
Thanks also for your hints. Make the windows resizable is not so easy, I will see.
K5WW

Unread post by K5WW »

I have no idea why it does what it does, Tom; but the most important thing is that I know how to make it work now. :)