Regarding 2.1 Beta 6

Control and memory management software for Icom transceivers
W0EB

Regarding 2.1 Beta 6

Unread post by W0EB »

The only bad behavior I have noticed is that occasionally it has to be shut down and re-started some times before it will read or write to the radio. This doesn't happen every time, only occasionally.

After the first time, I set the poll time to 150 milliseconds and that seems to have helped it. Set to longer than 150 milliseconds does not seem to change anything.

Once it started working, it hasn't failed again. Any ideas?
Jim - W0EB
(Ex DA1GS - 1976 to 1979, QTH Augsburg, Germany)
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Regarding 2.1 Beta 6

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Make sure, you have set the baud rate in the radio not to 'Auto'. The 'Auto' selection may cause trouble.
In the left hand lower corner you may have noticed a counter, which one represents the outstanding commands to send to the radio. The longer the poll time is the more slowly becomes the counter.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
W0EB

Unread post by W0EB »

I had already set the baud rate. I always use 19200 which is the highest allowed. My interface is the W1GEE equivalent of the CT-17 and never had this problem with other programs. It is working fine now, but when I shorten the poll time below 100 ms, it shows "Com port open" and the counter in the lower left corner counts when accessing the radio, but no data is sent to or received from the radio. This does not happen every time I run the program. It may be a MS Windows problem as I do not have a MAC, only a PC and am using Windows 2000 Pro. The computer is a Dell Dimension 8100, 768mb RAM, Pentium 4, 1.3GHz. I use a logging program that also accesses the radio, but of course, only one program can access the com port to interface the radio.

I am not complaining about this problem, only bringing it to your attention in case someone else may have the same problem. It could be something in my computer's com port and not in your program. RUMtrol is the ONLY program for the IC-7000 that allows changing the CW contest keyer's memories quickly. I have made several files to allow changing the exchange setup for different contests. This is SO much easier than having to select each letter with the tuning knob.

Vielen Dank und bis spater.

W0EB
Jim - W0EB
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

It is working fine now, but when I shorten the poll time below 100 ms, it shows "Com port open" and the counter in the lower left corner counts when accessing the radio, but no data is sent to or received from the radio.

That's why the poll time is adjustable. To get the highest performance, you have to shorten the poll time as much as possible. This is pending on your computer's performance and how busy the radio is. When you send or read data to/from the radio while turning the VFO knob, you may also notice interruptions in the communication. Set the poll time to your requirements. When you have a stable connection, then it is okay.
For a more reliable connection set the poll time to maximum, but it takes much more longer to exchange full memory banks.

I don't have a Windows machine here to test, on my Mac I use 60 ms.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
W0EB

Unread post by W0EB »

DL2RUM wrote:

I don't have a Windows machine here to test, on my Mac I use 60 ms.

I just finished testing the different poll times on my PC. 60 ms is perfect on the PC as well. It will work most times with 50 ms, but sometimes the data received from the radio is not completely correct on the CW keyer memories. With 60 ms it works every time. I think this is due to the fact there is no handshake, either hardware or X-ON X-OFF used by the radio. If anyone asks me, I will tell them use 60 ms to start and slower only if necessary.

Jim - W0EB