Show past QSOs

QSO logging software for the Mac
dje4816

Show past QSOs

Unread post by dje4816 »

I have downloaded and installed RUMlog on my Mac Air Book. I have imported my ADIF file. I have not yet connected the computer to my TX.

When I enter a callsign, I expect to immediately see if I have worked that station before. But I have to wait around 30 seconds before the list of previous QSOs comes up on screen. Am I doing something wrong here? If not, the software is far too slow for real-time use.

Hoping you can put me straight!

73s,

Dave :?
G4AJY and M0ROA.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Show past QSOs

Unread post by DL2RUM »

How many QSOs do you have in your log?
Can you e-mail me your RUMlog log file please?
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
dje4816

Unread post by dje4816 »

Thanks, Tom. I have about 3,500 QSOs in the log. I'm not sure what the log file is you would like to see. Please let me know what title to search for.

I am a new Mac user. Up until now I used Logger32 on my PC. It has problems, but as far as past QSO reporting it's literally instantaneous. As soon as I type a callsign in, I get a complete list of all past QSOs with that station, including name, QTH, date, time, QRG, etc. Even when there are 30 QSOs to list, it still appears instantaneous. I like this feature, because it means I can decide whether I want to call that station even before he has finished sending his CQ.

Hope you can help!

Best regards and 73s,

Dave :)
G4AJY and M0ROA.
ddanecki

Unread post by ddanecki »

Hi Dave,

Let me ask one additional question. When you type in the callsign, do you hit tab or click any other field after that ? RUMlog does not perform any search until you switch to another field. Also, the callsign which you've typed in must be previously logged in the same form in order for QSO to be shown.

In order to perform 'on the fly' search, which will show you even partial results, you have to enable and use search fields (Log->Show Search Options). They will show up on the bottom of your log and work in the same way as Logger32 search works.

If it really takes 30 seconds to find previous QSOs (after hitting tab in first case, or after typing in search fields on the bottom of RUMlog) then it must be some sort of bug. However I've got nearly 4200 QSOs in my log and I've never had any problems with search.
de SQ2KLU
Daniel
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

There should be no markable delays up to 100.000 QSOs. Never tested with more. So there must be a problem. The file name is the name, you have selected when you created your logbook before you was able to import data. You can find the path in the title bar of the Main Logging Window.
Title.png
dje4816

Unread post by dje4816 »

Tom and Daniel,

Thanks for the replies. I checked your advice and I'm doing everything right. So I ran Rumlog again just now and the darned thing is working correctly! This is so weird, as I played with it for hours yesterday and got the same result every time. So, I don't know what was wrong, but as a new Mac user it's almost certainly down to me.

I'll soon be trying to hook the logger up to my K3 and Winkey. When I have that right, it's goodbye to my dying Windows laptop and Logger32.

Thanks again, chaps.

Best regards and 73s,

Dave. :P

G4AJY and M0ROA.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

:-)

When you are a new user, have a look on the new RUMlog: http://www.machamradio.com/blog/2015/1/ ... s3wbtgabf6
dje4816

Unread post by dje4816 »

Tom,

Thanks for the link.

I've now had a decent session with the log on air, doing a fair number of CW QSOs. I was able to use the software "right out of the box." Two comments here.

1. I notice the list of past QSOs isn't always in date order. Can I correct that?

2. My station and log has more than one user. So my imported ADIF file has several different users. When I'm working someone and looking at the list of previous QSOs, it doesn't tell me who the operators were. Consequently, I can't be sure if I worked that call or another operator did. Is there anything I can do to have this info come up on screen automatically?

Best 73s,

Dave. 8-)

G4AJY and M0ROA.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

1. Press a header in the QSO table to sort the QSOs
2. Interesting point. There are 4 user definable database fields available. The operator could be use one field. Which ADIF field is used for the op? The <OPERATOR> tag? I will add this, so you can import the data.
dje4816

Unread post by dje4816 »

Thanks for the reply, Tom. How do I access the user-definable fields?
Dave.