NilObjectException

QSO logging software for the Mac
AE6JV

NilObjectException

Unread post by AE6JV »

Found in 5.3.7, reproduced in 5.3.10.

I entered "W1AW'3" (without the double quotes) in the call sign field for a QSO. (Note the single quote instead of a slant.) The QSO is in the log, but whenever I try to select that line to correct the error, RUMlog gets "An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The Application must shutdown."

Just as a note, I have found problems uploading QSOs to LotW with leading and/or trailing spaces.

73 and thanks for all your good work, Bill AE6JV
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: NilObjectException

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Never use any quotes ( ' or ") in the logging fields, this will result in a wrong formatted database syntax. I catch this error in the most suspected fields, but never had the idea, somebody puts this character in the call sign field.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
AE6JV

Unread post by AE6JV »

This error was a typo that slipped by my old eyes and got in the log. Now I just want to get rid of that line/QSO in the log so I have a properly formatted log.

An hour later ... I was able to remove the QSO by editing the log file in BBEdit, finding all the places where "W1AW'3" appeared (two locations), and changing them to "W1AW/3". I could then remove the QSO using the RUMlog UI.

I feel I can continue to use the log safely, so things are much better.

TU 73 Bill
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Don't use a simple text editor, this could destroy your complete log database. Use a database editor instead:
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM