Yaesu FT-100 and FT-990 with Rumlog--Issues

QSO logging software for the Mac
WB0KWJ

Yaesu FT-100 and FT-990 with Rumlog--Issues

Unread post by WB0KWJ »

I have noted that the Yaesu FT-100 works with Rumlog using the FT-990 selection with one exception: the frequency field in Rumlog reads the FT-100 at 1/32 its actual value. For instance, 10 MHz on the radio results in a display of 312.5 kHz in Rumlog. I do not know what happens on the FT-990.

What actually happens is the Rumlog populates the frequency field with the correct value and tunes the radio appropriately. Then, when Rumlog polls the radio, the frequency in the window changes.

Because Rumlog polls the radio at the rate selected in the Preferences, between 0.2 and 5 seconds, the frequency field cannot be manually corrected. If the value in the frequency window is changed, the incorrect value reappears as soon as the radio is polled by Rumlog. Unfortunately, the polling cannot be turned off or set to some high value far outside an ordinary operating period.

Has anyone discovered a work around? Or, might it be possible to add FT-100 support? Provisionally, turning off the polling would work, although there is obviously a binary data shifting issue (five places) in the protocol. I note that the control for the TS-2000 does not feature polling of the radio.

(I have confirmed correct operation of the FT-100 with three other Macintosh logging programs, and directly with CoolTerm.)

James Todd, WB0KWJ
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Yaesu FT-100 and FT-990 with Rumlog--Issues

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Yaesu uses always different CAT protocols for the older rigs. For the operating frequency read out the FT-990 uses 3 bytes, coded in BCD in 10 Hz steps. The FT-100 uses 4 bytes hex numbers (no BCD) in 1.25 Hz steps! So I'm wondering you got a reproducible result.
Reading out the mode couldn't work either.

I added the FT-100, currently for TRX#1 only for testing. Try this: http://dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMlogToTest.zip
Please report further.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
WB0KWJ

Unread post by WB0KWJ »

Thank you for the fast response.

I note that the coding for setting the frequency is the same on both radios. As you say, the protocol for reading the frequency is different. The reading of 1/32 the display frequency is reproducible and stable on the FT-100 with Rumlog using the FT-990 setting. Also, the mode reads and sets correctly if the "ignore SSB" option is checked in Rumlog.

Operation with Rumped is unreliable using FT-990 setting. It correctly reads the band and mode, command for band up and down work, but it will not always stay connected.

In any case there may be a small error. The file at the link is for Rumped, not Rumlog, and there is no FT-100 setting.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Opps sorry, here is the correct link: http://dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMlogToTest.zip

When you have both transceivers available, please check out the FT-990 as well. I found a minor error. Maybe this causes problems in RUMped as well.
WB0KWJ

Unread post by WB0KWJ »

Tom:

Thank you for the file and for working on this issue.

I have tested the Rumlog revision with an FT-100. When a station is selected in the DX spots window, Rumlog correctly sets the frequency and mode on the radio, and correctly populates the fields in the log. However, a few seconds later, the frequency field in the log changes to "0.0" and the mode field becomes unstable, rapidly changing between settings. I presume this occurs when the the radio is polled.

Jim
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Let's continue direct, since our conversation is not interesting for public. I used your registered address.