RUMlog and Elecraft P3

QSO logging software for the Mac
DL2RUM
Administrator

RUMlog and Elecraft P3

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I own now a P3 and was not fully satisfied with it. I found out that I prefer different spans for different modes. Further I noticed the waterfall scrolling is not smooth. I made 3 changes for first testing:
  • K3 Window: Macros added to be performed automatically after mode change —> See the Macro Edit view
  • K3 Window: S-meters removed to reduce workload on a connected P3. Is somebody missing it?
  • K3 Window: Moving the mouse over a VFO box will move the P3 curser accordingly, mouse click for QSY
Download the application: http://dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMlogApp.zip
If you use a RUMlog version before 5.3.7, copy the file "Modes&Submodes.txt" into your RUMlog folder as well.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
Aa5sh

Re: RUMlog and Elecraft P3

Unread post by Aa5sh »

Tom,
I also just a P3 and assembled it last night. I downloaded version 5.3.8 and everything seems to work fine until I open the K3 Window. It then seems like it is just looping through initialization of the window. I see values set then go 0 then back set. Also it causes the P3 screen to flicker. If I close that window all works fine again.

Michael, AA5SH
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

When you disconnect the P3 all is fine again?
It seems to me the P3 processor is very busy when RUMlog polls for K3 data, the waterfall stops shortly. I set the Poll Rate to 1 sec.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
Aa5sh

Unread post by Aa5sh »

I changed it to 1sec and it stills seems to be doing the same thing just slower. It periodically "lights" up the labels like Linked, TX, Test or split when I am not changing nothing on the rig.

Michael
Aa5sh

Unread post by Aa5sh »

I went back to version 5.3.7 and it works ok now. Something with your changes to 5.3.8 caused it.

Michael
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

Tom,

This is a very interesting project you have going.

I like the concept and hope you can figure out a way to overcome the communications and processor restrictions.

I have it working about 75% and am already finding it useful. If I just ignore the polling going on with the bandwidth and "IF" shift numbers it works well.

One of the great uses I have for it at this time is to be able to quickly put the "A" VFO on the left side of the screen and then put the "B" VFO up around the pile up.

Oh, and BTW, I personally don't miss the "S" meter.
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS