Elecraft KX3

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
ve3wdm

Elecraft KX3

Unread post by ve3wdm »

I was wounering if anyone has used the Elecraft KX3 with either (or both) Rumlog or Rumped? I have a KX3 on order and was wanting to use my Imac to run things.
Thanks
Mike
VE3WDM
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Elecraft KX3

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I don't use a KX3, but so far I was informed by the users, all RUMlog and RUMped functions designed for the K3 will work on the KX3 also. This includes CW, RTTY and PSK operation.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
ve3wdm

Unread post by ve3wdm »

Thanks very much and that is great to know...the KX3 should be in within a few months from now...that will give me time to setup.
Mike
VE3WDM
G0TPH

Unread post by G0TPH »

Hi Mike,

I'm running a KX3 with both RUMped and RUMlog from a Mac Mini. It all works a treat. You select K3 as the rig as it shares a common CAT interface protocol with the KX3. I had to download the driver for the FTDI USB Serial adaptor i.e. the CAT lead that came with the KX3 as my Mac did not come with that installed.

If you use CW in contests and use machine generated CW it is worth looking at using the in-built keyer of the K3/KX3. Basically, CW is generated in the KX3 in response to serial commands over the CAT interface. This means that an external keyer device such as a WINKey is not required. It also leaves the KEY input to the rig free for direct connection of a real key.

Alan
N1JM

Unread post by N1JM »

If you use the K3 control with a KX3, there are a few macros that are different, such as A/B and A=B. See the programmers reference manual for others.

John N1JM