Rig Control "too smart"

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
W2SRH

Rig Control "too smart"

Unread post by W2SRH »

RUMped 3.1.5
cocoaModem 2.0.95
Kenwood TS-2000

I tried to work the JARTS RTTY contest this weekend - my first contest by myself, and first contest operating a digital mode - and kept having problems with getting things to work together. When I would tell RUMped to switch to RTTY mode, it would tune the radio to LSB as expected, then a few seconds later the RTTY window would disappear and it would go back to SSB mode. I thought this might have to do with the frequency coming back and being in the wrong portion of the band, but if I turn off rig control entirely it seems to work properly - switching to RTTY mode causes the cocoaModem interface to appear at the bottom of the screen as expected. I think the program is reading the mode back from the rig and assuming that it should switch back to SSB mode since the radio isn't in FSK. I turned rig control back on, and told RUMped to use FSK for RTTY, then switched the drop down to RTTY next to the callsign entry field. It properly changed the radio to FSK, then switched itself back to SSB. The second time I told it to use RTTY instead, it stayed there; but shortly after I pushed the LSB button on the rig RUMped went back to SSB mode. If I put it back in FSK, it will again go to RTTY mode.

It seems like it's just checking to see what mode the rig is in, and switching to SSB without realizing that I want the RTTY interface to remain. Not sure how to solve that logically, since you don't necessarily want to ignore the mode from the radio every time, but at the very least if I tell it to use LSB for RTTY it should assume that I want to stay in RTTY when it reads LSB back from the rig. Conversely I use USB for PSK (no real reason other than 14070 USB is where I've always tuned for that mode) which doesn't seem to be an option. I guess I could get used to tuning to 14075 LSB too :P

As a slightly related side note, when I didn't have good luck working RTTY I decided to try the New York QSO Party instead. I didn't get an award winning score - 52 QSOs with 28 counties for 1456 claimed - but I had a lot of fun, learned a bit, and fell in love with RUMped. I'd already become a fan of RUMlog earlier in the week :>
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Rig Control "too smart"

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I have to deactivate the SSB mode setting when the info comes from the TRX. Will coming soon.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM