Truncated Leading Zeros on Serial Numbers?

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
G4FSU

Truncated Leading Zeros on Serial Numbers?

Unread post by G4FSU »

Hi,

I'm new to RUMped & have been looking for a contest logger than runs on the Mac. I must say I'm very impressed with the layout, stability & ease of integration with the K3. I've previously been using Win-Test running under Wine on the Mac, which works in a fashion, but is not ideal. It's really good to find a dedicated contest logger for the Mac!

I do have one question, or request. I've noticed that in CW, when sending a standard exchange of report + serial number, that the exchange can be sent using full numbers, e.g. 599 001, or short numbers, e.g. 5NN TTA. The majority of CW contest exchanges tend to use a hybrid of the 2 approaches, e.g. 5NN TT1. In other words, the 9 in the report is usually shortened, and the leading zeros in the serial numbers are shortened, but otherwise the numbers are sent in full to avoid confusion. In another example, 599 010 would be sent as 5NN T10, 599 011 would be sent as 5NN T11, and 599 020 would be sent as 5NN T20 etc.

Is this possible with RUMped? If not, could it be considered for a future release? The report is easy enough to fix by putting 5NN in the macro instead of %RST, but I couldn't figure out how to send T for the leading zeros in a serial number without shortening the 1 & 9 as well, which I think is undesirable in all but the busiest & fastest of contests with the best operators.

Apologies if I've missed something as I'm still finding my way round the programme, but it otherwise looks really good. I haven't tried in a contest yet, but will try it out on the RSGB 80mCC which run weekly until July.

Many thanks & 73 de Ian G4FSU
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Truncated Leading Zeros on Serial Numbers?

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Interesting point of view. I will add an option to shorten the leading zeros only.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
G4FSU

Unread post by G4FSU »

Wow - that was really quick! Many thanks indeed; I really appreciate your work for the hobby!

I'm always a little nervous about making suggestions in case it is taken as a criticism, which is absolutely not what is intended, so thanks again.

73 Ian G4FSU
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

:D
Good ideas are always welcome.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM