Unread post by N2AET »

MacOS 10.6.6
RUMped Beta 38
cocoaModem 2.0.88
FTDI drivers 2.2.14
microkeyer 2, ft-950

System Profiler "sees" the mk2 devices

The problem: I can't seem to get everything to play nice together

If I run cM standalone, it can get rtty decodes, but not transmit with the tx test panel
with the uH router W7AY includes (starts when cM does), the "test ptt" button does put my 950 into tx

now, onto RUMPed: (with nothing else running)
transceiver setup: choose ft-950, choose usbserial-m2rhlrm6, hit save: "can't open port for microham"

If I open cM from inside of RUMped, my audio devices still work, but uH Router gets "resource busy" (because RUMped is doing something with the port)

Does anyone have a cookbook type guide to getting all this to play nice? If it is really "RTFM", where can I download a recent manual? The one that came with the beta is over 3 years old.

Brian N2AET
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Feeling like an idiot..

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Brian,

first at all you should post your intentions, what do you want to do? There are a lot of options.
I run RUMped with cocoaModem but without the µH Router software. Only one program can has access to the MKII. Chen's µH Router starts all the time cocoaModem starts. You should (temporally) trash or zip the file, so it will not start automatically.
Here an example how to use the MKII for TRX control, CW and FSK keying. I assume your MKII is configured well for Audio Routing and PTT Keying.
  • Start cocoaModem and make all the required audio settings. RUMped will let these untouched. You will have access to the MKII audio codecs direct via the USB port. If you want, you can activate the Lite Interface in the cocoaModem's settings. Quit cocoaModem
  • Make sure µH Router is not running
  • Start RUMped, open the Preferences Window
  • Under the General tab select the MKII device.
  • Check the boxes "Use for TRX Control", "Use for RTTY (FSK) and "Use for CW"
  • Under the TRX tab select your transceiver and make the baud rate settings.
  • Under the CW tab select WinKey as CW interface. Make sure the boxes "Paddle Echoback" and "Serial Echoback" are checked.
  • Under the RTTY tab select "cocoaModem Wide RTTY" as interface.
  • Save your settings
TRX control should work now. When you switch RUMped now into RTTY mode, cocoaModem should start in the lite interface. The RTTY section in RUMped should appear. Make sure the option: Menu-->RTTY-->Show Tuning Aid is set. This allows you to see the waterfall.

See here: http://dl2rum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166 or here: http://dl2rum.de/files/Aural_3.mov how it works.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
N2AET

Unread post by N2AET »

Thank you for the help, Tom. It is making more sense now.

One more question - about audio routing. Searching around, I found the RUMpedNews.pdf which has an explanation of the MK2 audio routing panel.

I set the option to use the MK2 for voice.

Under MK prefs, I select "use front mic" (or auto mic, no difference in results)
When I try to make a choice in the TX audio boxes, I cannot select any of the radio buttons.
I would expect a setting of "C" in the 2nd box in the voice column - for routing the voice keyer
and a setting of "A" for the footswitch setting.

Using the footswitch does key everything, but nothing is actually transmitted.

Brian N2AET
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Sorry, something was going wrong with the radio buttons for the audio routing. Here is a corrected version:
http://dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMpedBeta.zip
Or you can use Chen's great software to configure the MKII.

Once again, what do you want to do with the MKII? What are your connections between the MKII and the radio?
I set the option to use the MK2 for voice.
For voice you have to set the audio routing and the PTT options correct and RUMped must set to SSB. This will switch the MKII into the Voice mode. Do you have a mic connected or do you want to transmit the sound card output?

It may be hard job to configure the MKII for your needs. The MKII use a specific protocol to communicate with the computer. Only the sound card is direct accessible, for all other "sub devices" (CAT, FSK, WinKeyer...) you need a special software. Further, the MKII must be switched into the correct operating mode. You can not use it as stand alone device.

See here for a better explanation: http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/Route ... tocol.html
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM