K3 and FSK Delay

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
K6LE

K3 and FSK Delay

Unread post by K6LE »

Trying out RUMped with my new K3 and I am running in to a problem.

In the "K3 Transmit and CCM Receive" mode it seems to be working but when I click on a macro it immediately starts transmitting a carrier but takes over five seconds before it actually starts transmitting the macro.

I have looked over the K3 manual to see if there is a parameter that delays transmit but can't find one.

Suggestions?

Rick
K6LE
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: K3 and FSK Delay

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Well, during implementing this option I discovered the same problem. I stopped testing and further development of this option, since there is a bug in the K3 firmware. I've forgotten to disable this useless option.
Maybe you should sign here to remember this bug: http://n2.nabble.com/K3-KY-command-and- ... l#a3730340
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

That's disappointing, especially since seeing that function in RUMped was one of the motivators to buy the K3.

Funny thing is that the K3 Utility works fine. Wonder what they do differently?
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I've just downloaded and tested the latest firmware. The problem is still present. You can confirm the bug using the Command Tester in the K3 Utility:
  • Send out some text by entering "KY RYRYRYRYRYRY;"
  • When the text has finished, the K3 sends out didles (idling) for few seconds, before it switches to RX
  • Just in this time period send out the next command, i.e. "KY RYRYRYRYRY;"
  • You will notice now the time delay before sending out this text and in this time the signal becomes unmodulated
In RUMped I send only 1 character per command. This allows the user to interrupt the transmission at a specific point, since the TX echo read back from the K3 works not very fine.

I will ask Elecraft, if there is a solution in the next future.

BTW, I guess you have seen this: http://dl2rum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166
To workaround this failure I used an external AFSK to FSK converter to run real FSK, since I don't like AFSK very much.
K6LE

Unread post by K6LE »

Yes indeed!

I can recreate the problem from the K3 Terminal app.

Seems like a buffer problem where the K3 sends what's in it's buffer and then has to wait for another buffer load.

Oh well, I guess I'll use AFSK this weekend.

For my previous rig, an Omni VII, I was using a microHam Keyer to generate FSK but I don't have a K3 cable for it and was hoping that the K3's internal FSK would eliminate the need to continue using the microHam.

Are you using the outboard AFSK/FSK interface that Chen recommends? I may build one of them up.

Thanks for your help.

Will I see you in the OK RTTY contest this weekend?
Rick Prather
K6LE
Modesto, CA

2016 iMac 27" 5K
MacOS - HS
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I don't know Chen's recommendation, I use a homemade converter using a XR-2211 chip. RUMped can use the microHAM microKeyer II for direct FSK, which one I use in another station setup.