NewBie ?

Contesting and dx-peditioning with the Mac
K9TF

NewBie ?

Unread post by K9TF »

HI I am Jim and new to RUMPed. I have allot of stupid questions so I will post them here until I understand the program more.

What is MySQL? From what I have read so far it is a server program for multiple users.

I am a single user. I run a contest maybe once a year at best and is the Wisconsin QSO party. I need to log report and enter the COUNTY name or STATE if qso is out side the state of Wisconsin. So if MySQL is not installed what instructions do I need to follow for QUICK Setup?
Jim K9TF
N8NOE

Re: NewBie ?

Unread post by N8NOE »

Hey Jim,
First You'll need MySQL:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
And you'll want the GUI tools..
This will let you load MySQL and Control it and give your self access to it also. MySQL is a Database.
In Tom's program here, is Contest Maker (You can check another Thread for some of the contest files Also)
But most all the state QSO parties can be run using the same template (Actually a .Plist file)
See if this helps out?. RUMped uses MySQL to hold all the information, not a bad thing as the QSO's are away from anything that might not
keep them safe on the system..

Jeff-N8NOE
"Laissez les Contest Roulez!"
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

Hi Jeff

First off, I do not connect the computer to the radio. No Radio controls, rotor controls, RX or TX audio, CW, Voice recordings, RTTY or any digital. NADA. Nor do I intend to in the immediate future. Maybe if I buy a K3 or Flex radio, no money for it and my Ten Tec Omni VI Plus is still running fine.

Do I still need MySql? Why?

Jim
Jim K9TF
N8NOE

Unread post by N8NOE »

Requirements

RUMped works with MySQL! You have to install it on your machine, or need access to a server anywhere in your local network or internet. Each logfile will generate a new database. Here you can download MySQL. Scoll down to the Mac section.

RUMped can use cocoaModem2.0 (Ver. 0.26 minimum) as modem for RTTY, BPSK and Hellschreiber.
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

Where does it need to be installed?

In side of RumPed or RumPed inside of MYSql? How doe one program knows the other is there? I do not have a clue.
Jim K9TF
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Hi Jim,

RUMped and even MySQL are both very complex and complicated pieces of software. As you have stated, you need it for few QSOs only, I would reccomend you use a more simple logging tool.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
N8NOE

Unread post by N8NOE »

K9TF wrote:Where does it need to be installed?

In side of RumPed or RumPed inside of MYSql? How doe one program knows the other is there? I do not have a clue.

Jim, As Tom said, this is more a Contesting/Logging Software and if your only going to use it for one contest or very little it's kinda involved..
But as a quick answer to your Question. MySQL is a Database and is installed on your system, it's Free to use unless you want the big-gun version that you'd not need.
RUMped uses this Database for Logging and stores it's information in it. They are totally separate programs but use each other. If you load MySQL, you'll need to administer it using (e.g. GIU Tools)
that you can get with the software. You would need to give yourself access to the Database, This is really no big deal, but reading Tom's Doc's on the RUMped will help you.
When you first Start RUMped, you will need it to make a LOG (Actually a File inside MySQL) and this is done for you, you just tell RUMped a name and it's good. Now
you'd asked about the templates (.plist files), these go in the RUMped Folder in "Plugins" folder. These are special Files used for various contests, they can be made for anything and inside RUMped
is ContestMaker. You can use this to make a Custom set of Scoring/Logging/Etc. then save it and put it in the Plugins folder. Once there you open RUMped and start a NEW LOG using the Template.
By Far the hard part is actually just doing it. Once you have all the software and are ready to load it you 98% done.. Very easy once you set your mind to, and NOT as hard as it may sound.
Do some Reading on MySQL and the way it works and you'll get a great idea of how RUMped is keeping your log Safe. One really nice thing about RUMped and MySQL (That I Like) is during a contest,
2 People can access the same log in real time. So say during ARRL FIELD DAY, I set my Notebook up and give access to another of the logging computers and we are logging the same time and spot DUPES..
ARRL Field-Day is also one of the .plist files so it's all set to run, just make the log and go.. Hope this helps some?.. But it is a bit involved to get started, but well worth the effort. I think if you started using it,
You'd see how nice it is and use it more than just once in a while!.. Tom has put a LOT of work in to this and with sugestions for a bunch of users it's always being improved and features added..
Just Get MySQL (to match your Machine Architecture) and load it, Get the GUI tools and give yourself an Account inside it, and run RUMped..
(( http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ ))

Jeff-N8NOE
Mac Freak, Icom Nut, RUMped user, and a few other things!.. Hihi...
K9TF

Unread post by K9TF »

I visited the web page, there are several download choices. Are you talking about MySQL Community Server?

Also I looked up GUIs and there are 3 GUI tools, do I need to down load all 3?

There is also Mac OSX Downloads and it is for OSX 10.4 do I need it? I am running OSX 10.5.6

I could operate more contests if things work out.
Jim K9TF
N8NOE

Unread post by N8NOE »

I'll assume your on a Intel and not a PPC..

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQ ... edu/mysql/

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQ ... edu/mysql/

Try these Two!..
I'm on Holiday in Austin Texas, so I hope all the links work.
Jeff-N8NOE
N8NOE

Unread post by N8NOE »

I'm Guessing it Worked out...