Bug report: Import/export QSO times

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
M0NZO

Bug report: Import/export QSO times

Unread post by M0NZO »

Hi Tom

Just a quick bug report. I hope this is the right place.

RUMlogNG Version 3.12.2 (252)

I am importing an ADIF into RUMlog, which contains the following fields:

Code: Select all

<TIME_ON:6>093000
<TIME_OFF:6>100000
As RUMlog only has one time field by default, the value from the TIME_OFF field is used.

However, when I export the QSO from RUMlog to ADIF again, the time now appears in the TIME_ON field:

Code: Select all

<TIME_ON:6>100000
This means that all of the times for imported QSOs have been transposed, so they start at the time they actually finished. As a result, the QSOs don't match when uploaded to LoTW or eQSL.

Please let me know if you need any further information.
Greg M0NZO
DL2RUM
Administrator

Re: Bug report: Import/export QSO times

Unread post by DL2RUM »

You are right, this is the way it works.

I'm in a conflict. As default RUMlog saves the time when you press the Save QSO button. This is normally the QSO off time. The ADIF specification recommends to use the <TIME_ON> tag as minimum in a data record. There are services out there, accepting the <TIME_ON> only, not the <TIME_OFF> tag. That's why RUMlog exports <TIME_ON> tag.

You can go to Preferences-->General and define a user field as <TIME_ON> field. Then RUMlog will save, import and export both times.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
M0NZO

Unread post by M0NZO »

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.
DL2RUM wrote:I'm in a conflict. As default RUMlog saves the time when you press the Save QSO button. This is normally the QSO off time. The ADIF specification recommends to use the <TIME_ON> tag as minimum in a data record. There are services out there, accepting the <TIME_ON> only, not the <TIME_OFF> tag. That's why RUMlog exports <TIME_ON> tag.
I understand, but as a result, incorrect times are being exported.

The way other loggers that I have used work around this problem is to populate the TIME_ON field when the callsign is entered (or looked up) and the TIME_OFF field when the QSO is saved. Would it be possible to do something like this?
DL2RUM wrote: You can go to Preferences-->General and define a user field as <TIME_ON> field. Then RUMlog will save, import and export both times.
I did try doing that, but found that I would have to type the TIME_ON for each QSO. Also, I am currently using the 4 user fields for other things.
Greg M0NZO
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I would have to type the TIME_ON for each QSO.
No! Just enter the callsign and press the Tab key to set the QSO start time.

Furthermore you can edit the ADIF file to match your needs.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
M0NZO

Unread post by M0NZO »

DL2RUM wrote:No! Just enter the callsign and press the Tab key to set the QSO start time.
Thanks Tom, that's good to know. Now I just need to decide which of the other user fields to lose. If only there were 5 or 6 custom fields :lol:
Greg M0NZO