RUMlogNG + WSJT-X + Kenwood TS570D - band change not working

RUMlog, the Next Generation. Completely rewritten.
themusicman

Re: RUMlogNG + WSJT-X + Kenwood TS570D - band change not wor

Unread post by themusicman »

DL2RUM wrote:The split setting is in the r/h upper corner of the Radio panel.
I saw that, but it's the 'disable PTT' in WSJT-X I can't find.

I am unable to use anything other than RTS for PTT in WSJT-X because the CAT control is in use by RUMlog, and when I select CAT in WSJT-X, the Test CAT function returns RED not GREEN!
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

I've just tested the TS-570D setup. All works as expected. I'm sure, you have a failure in your setup. I pointed out already to two errors in your settings.
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
themusicman

DL2RUM wrote:I've just tested the TS-570D setup. All works as expected. I'm sure, you have a failure in your setup. I pointed out already to two errors in your settings.
I don't doubt that you have a fully working set up... me though, I am very much a learner. However, when I change the PTT from RTS to CAT in WSJT-X preferences, the configuration fails the 'Test CAT' test and returns a RED failure warning.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to screenshot your settings for me please, and also describe the cable set-up you have from the Mac to the rig. This would allow me to triple check things. I use two cables (as indicated in PDF in the new thread I posted) on my TS570D; one is the FTDI CAT Control cable from the RS232 port to a free USB port, the other is a data mode cable which converts the audio and mic in/out to 3.5mm connections, plus acts as a PTT function when the rig is in TX mode (if I didn't use that the rig takes its audio input from the hand held microphone via VOX instead).

I really do appreciate your help here, many thanks.
DL2RUM
Administrator

Unread post by DL2RUM »

Once again: You have set two options for the PTT. You have to disable one. This is not your problem, but it may have side effects.
I recommend RUMlog for PTT:
Disable PTT in WSJT-X
Disable PTT in WSJT-X
The TS-570 Manual states, the tx uses RTS/CTS flow control. You have set the line always to high, this disables flow control and makes it useless.
Do not power up a line
Do not power up a line
73 and best dx de Tom, DL2RUM
themusicman

OK, no success here at all I'm afraid.

When I set the PTT Method to VOX, I get nothing transmitted from the Kenwood... no power output is noted at all and with 15 mins of scanning, I received zero responses on FT8. I don't understand that if VOX is selected, how the Mac actually receives audio - because I am not using the physical microphone to get the audio into the Kenwood, surely we want the audio to come from the Mac into the rig...?

Apologies if I am not understanding this, sir.

I have disabled the RTS always high checkbox, and all works the same except the band drop down in WSJT-X has no effect when changed. When I change the band (or frequency via VFO) on the Kenwood, the band indicator and indicated frequency in WSJT-X changes to match that of the Kenwood, but changing it in WSJT-X has no effect on the kenwood at all.

Really confusing.